Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Another Cardinalcentric Trade Post

Reader Tim from OH, a long time supporter of the blog (by which I mean he sends me stuff from time to time) sent over another package of Cardinals stuff last month. And it was pretty great. Here are just a few of the cards I received that caught my eye.

A 40 Man Roster themed set seems exactly like the kind of set I would design if things were left up to me and there were no restrictions. This is why things aren't left up to me. I imagine this set, if it truly contained 40+ cards for each team, to have been a pretty large one. Has anyone bought any of this stuff?

I'm not sure that Reggie Sanders is the first name that comes to mind when you think of October heroics, but here it is. I still can't figure out what all of that black dead space is for on these cards.

I'm fairly confident that this card features Bud Smith chatting with Tony La Russa during batting practice, as Smith had just recently pitched a no-hitter which gets a mention on the card back. I can't even imagine what Topps was thinking when they designed the 2002 set. There's nothing appealing about it. As with a couple of other years (or maybe it's just 2001?), there's sort of a foil background on some of the subset cards.

I never thought I'd see the day where Mark McGwire would return to being the most popular Cardinal first baseman in town, but that's where we are. I think it's fair to say that you'll be seeing quite a bit more of him than the other guy on this blog in the future.

1 comment :

  1. I think the guy on the La Russa 'playoff' card is not Bud Smith who is a lefty, but a utility guy who once played third base, outfield and first base for the Cardinals.

    I think the guy will now be playing in the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.