Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Super '70s Canadian Cards


A neglected stack of '70s OPCs is rediscovered. 
 
I'd like to at least pretend that I didn't have a little stack of old O-Pee-Chee cards sitting around here, buried under some sort of other stack of cards, since (*checks notes*) last June?! But here we are and here are the cards. It's time to pretend no more.


I got these bad boys (is that a '70s term?) from Angus of Dawg Day Cards, another blogging friend from north of the border. I don't know that there are any distinct photo or cropping variations on these, so let's go ahead and skip ahead to the good parts.


Here's a nice scan of Lou Brock's Record Breaker card to prove its O-Pee-Chee-ness. Fantastique!


Eric Rasmussen (f/k/a Harry) gets his cartoon preserved here. They just have to make the text a lot smaller.


The color and card stock on O-Pee-Chee cards often is more aesthetically pleasing to me than their Topps counterparts, and the different in color contrast actually makes these easier for me to read, even though some of the text is smaller.


I'm guessing some of the text is edited down for space to fit both languages in, but I haven't compared many of the Topps and O-Pee-Chee cards from this era side-by-side, mostly because I just don't have that many.


There's lots of tiny text here. The '72 backs seem to have much more red in their color.

I need to stop stacking cards on top of other cards. It's getting dangerous in here.

3 comments :

  1. I definitely appreciate the lighter OPC card stock when it comes to reading backs, the '76 set is the best example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy seeing older O-Pee-Chee baseball issues. I'm not sure how rare they are in general, but they're rare to me. Sharp looking copies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not the only one guilty of burying cards in stacks. I've recently cleared a big one off of my desk. At least you knew who sent you what. There were some cards in my stack that I had no clue who originally sent them.

    P.S. I've really grown to appreciate 70's & 80's OPC baseball over the past fifteen years or so.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.