Friday, September 6, 2024

World Headquarters Edition


Green football and loads of baseball. 
 
Awhile back, Dennis from Too Many Verlanders came into a bunch of cards and was generous to share some of the spoils with yours truly. As is often the case, the package came with an excellent selection of football guys I collect. You know, the guys in green! Nick Foles is near the top of my list of modern Eagles to collect as he led the team to the promised land not too long ago, so it's always great to pick up something fun like this rookie patch thing.


Green means Ducks as well (mallard green!) DAT was a fun player to watch, always a complete blur on the field. (Didn't they call the offense "the blur offense" at one point?) Many of my favorite looking Oregon cards were made by Upper Deck for some reason.


Patriots rookie (well, last season) Christian Gonzalez looks especially good here in a green parallel version. I'm glad this is from the draft set where Gonzalez is wearing his college gear, although I'm sure I'll eventually have a bunch of his cards where he's wearing that dastardly Patriots garb.


Marcus Mariota may not be wearing green here, but it's alright by me.


These playing card-themed inserts are pretty silly. I don't know that I've seen any other ones besides Gonzalez.


DAT is back again, this time on another Upper Deck card in acetate.


I don't think I have a clue about this brand. Pro Picks? It blends in with Wild Card and Leaf and Sage and whatever other small potatoes college brands are out there. I never really see this kind of stuff on shelves.


Akili Smith's son, also a quarterback, is set to join the Ducks next year. I wonder how much influence Smith Sr. had on his son's recruiting decision, considering how different things are at UO now than they were in the late '90s.


It's back to Eagles territory we go with a few more former Birds. The current team is set to open their season with the Packers in Brazil shortly.


I always thought Mack Hollins would make a much better name for a lineman, or at least not a skill position guy.


Jalen not-Hurts looks absolutely thrilled to be stuck inside this Christmas ornament. Does Panini release a holiday-themed version of their Donruss football set like they do with NBA Hoops, or was this just part of the regular set?


After all of those football guys to get your football weekend started (FOOTBALL!), here's a former Trail Blazer basketball pro. The backdrop of these cards looks like some cheesy computer generated graphic pattern that you could find in a Google image search or something.


The red bird baseball team can't avoid the green either.


Looks like mojo!


Elite Extra Edition is a weird and fairly janky looking product every year. It looks like this year, Panini got bored with their usual pink parallels and decided to unleash whatever the heck this is to the collecting world.


There needs to be a prominent set of round cards (or discs!) every year. It should be baked into every contract. I would actually order Slurpees if 7-11 ever decided to bring back their discs, and I never drink that kind of stuff.


We go from the circular to this die cut gem. I think these inserts are fairly tough to come by.


Speaking of tough to come by, I've run across these '90s Sportscenter themed inserts a bunch of times, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a World Headquarters Edition parallel before. Nice!


Last, but certainly not least, is this huge pile of Topps Heritage cards (mostly short prints!) and Allen & Ginter minis that all checked off various needs from my various wants. One fuzzy picture from my phone can't possibly do this justice, but suffice it to say that I was very pleased with this overall.

4 comments :

  1. That Elite Extra Edition parallel looks like the Matrix or like a satellite tv station when the rain comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That diecut JD Drew card is really cool... but I gotta go with that Hurts relic. That look is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that enough time has past that Akili could have a son whose now playing football too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.