Tuesday, July 29, 2008

No More Mr. Reyes

Anthony Reyes was dealt to the Cleveland Indians over the weekend, marking an unceremonious end to his once-promising Cardinals career. Most people would agree that it was best for him to move on, but I can't help but feel disappointed. Some, like this blogger-commenter (can that be a word?) over at the very excellent Viva El Birdos have described this as a win-win situation for all involved, but I don't see the Cardinals ending up as winners here.

Reyes still seems like a talent to me. He has a unique delivery. He throws hard. He has style (obviously- see the high socks, the super-serious flat bill...) He threw one hell of a World Series game in 2006, one that helped set the tone for the series. Do the Cardinals win that series without him? It's tough to say.

I could also say I was a victim of falling for "the hype." For the 1-hitter against the defending champion White Sox. For the World Series Game 1. For my girlfriend's favorite player. I think Reyes will end up alright in the end. I think Cleveland got a good deal. I have my doubts as to whether we'll ever see the 24-year old AA reliever that the Cards got in return. Hopefully Reyes makes it back soon.

What kind of socks do the Indians have to wear?

1 comment :

  1. You're not falling for the hype. The Indians got a deal, whereas the Cardinals did not. One could say that the Cards don't deserve it, being that they treated Reyes like a dog on a too short leash. Part of me would concur.

    Anthony will do well because I said so. The Indians will not have great socks, but hopefully they will give him respect.

    I am happy this post is dated on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.