Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cardboard Collections: The Trilogy, Finale

At last, we have arrived at the third of three consecutive packages from Colbey at Cardboard Collections. This was from another group break and I ended up doing about as well as can be expected, snagging another McGwire insert and some gaudy goldish things.

I take special interest in cards that are primarily blue. I also am a big fan of Rick Ankiel pitching cards, so this comes out as a win-win for me. Ankiel had a big playoff HR for Atlanta last season and I hope that the last chapter in his career won't be written for some time to come. I'd like to see him come back to St. Louis someday and see what a different hitting coach (besides Hal McRae) could do for him.

This Topps Embossed set (or tMB... not sure how you get "tMB" from that) was probably a direct response to the success of Action Packed. Wait... were they actually successful?

Here's a goldish or bronzeish parallel from the same set. This contributes to more of a "statue" effect.

Topps sure tried everything back in the day, including cards made out of metal. I have seen some metal cards made by other companies, but nothing like this from Topps before. Night Owl wasn't messing around when he warned others of the dangers of these cards, and I'm glad that my McGwire was sealed in with tape inside a hard card holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.