Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Chipz 'n Dip


They're colorful and fun, but as a collector I don't know what to do with them.

I haven't done a pack break in awhile, and I have a bunch of stuff cluttering up my desk. Let's see what we can do here. I really like these Chipz. I like buying a pack and opening them and having something substantial fall out. I don't know what that's about. But I don't really know what to do with them, especially since in two years I've yet to pull a single Cardinal. (This is out of only, like, ten packs or so...)


I wouldn't be surprised if Erin ends up being a Jose Altuve collector, so this is probably the only one that will end up staying. I knew Altuve was good, but I had no idea that he'd be putting up the numbers he's put up this season. He'd be a viable MVP candidate if the Astros were anywhere near contention this season.


This year's set has magnetic Chipz in it, which makes it about the easiest pack searching helper known to this hobby. The packs with a magnet in it stick to a lot of things. The non-magnet having packs don't. These magnetic Chipz also stick to other Chipz, which could make storing them an exercise in science.


Some of them have vinyl team logo non-sticky stickers affixed to them, like this Mascot Chip(z?) of Paws, the Tigers mascot. He's grrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaaatttt.


This is what I want to try. I'm going to list every Chip(z) I have here and put them all up for trade. However, what I'd really like to do is turn them into other Cardinal Chipz. Does that sound reasonable? I don't care about doubles, colors, magnets, glowing things, parallels, whatever... any Cardinal Chipz you have can turn into a Chip(z) for you. The only thing I'll say is that I don't think I feel comfortable dropping these in a Plain White Envelope and sending them on their way, so if I have any takers I will try to include them in a more substantial package. And if I don't have any takers, I guess I'll try something else.

And if you don't have any Chipz to speak of, but are super desperate to get ahold of one of these, feel free to let me know. I'm a reasonable guy with a reasonable amount of fake poker chips featuring baseball players on my desk.

Here's the list. If it seems like a parallel or is not a plain white one, I'll try to include what's different about it.

2014:

Roy Halladay - Red, Magnetic
Paws - Mascot, with Tigers Decal [2 of these]
Zack Wheeler - Blue
Jose Altuve
Chase Utley - with Phillies Decal
Marco Scutaro
David Price
Zack Greinke - Red, Gold interior (this one might be rare?)
David Ortiz
Ryan Howard - Red, Magnetic
CC Sabathia - Blue
Ian Kinsler - Black, Magnetic
Carlos Gomez - Glow in the Dark
Bryce Harper - with Nats Decal
Edwin Encarnacion
Andrew McCutchen - Black, with Pirates Decal
Jean Segura
Joe Mauer
Raymond - Mascot

But wait, there's also 2013:

Brandon Phillips - with Reds Decal
Adrian Beltre - Gold interior
Jay Bruce - with Reds Decal
Michael Young - Glow in the Dark
Yoenis Cespedes
Ben Zobrist [2 of these]
Mike Napoli
Angel Pagan - Glow in the Dark
Giancarlo Stanton - with Marlins Decal
Bryce Harper - with Nats Decal
Miguel Cabrera
Carlos Gonzalez
Colby Rasmus - Glow in the Dark
Jason Kipnis
Angel Pagan
Mike Napoli - Glow in the Dark

Finally, in case you wondered, the "Dip" is me for sitting through four hours of the Cardinals doing absolutely nothing at the plate tonight.

7 comments :

  1. I like the Encarnacion and the Stanton chips. What do you collect? Please email me at caitlinjennings64@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Yadi and a Beltran from 2013. I wouldn't be opposed to a Beltre and a Mauer. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does Roy Halladay get a 2014 chip? Sometimes I just don't get Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to figure out a way to get the Brewers you have from you. I don't have any Chipz to trade though...think we could work something out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only pulled 1 Card (Allen Craig-White with Gold Interior.)

    Will take Utley, Paws, and Raymond?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 3 2014 Cards Chipz to send your way, in addition to a lot of Cards cards. I have '14 Molina, '14 Wainwright, '14 Wainwright magnetic (all are white border). Email me your address at jaredwillden@yahoo.com. I would like the Ortiz and Napoli

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.