Monday, January 26, 2015

Sports 'n Stuff


Red cards from Dodger Blue country.

I've been having a run of lousy sports luck, which made me seriously question how much I want to invest my time and emotions into games of men I don't know and will never meet. I do this from time to time, but lately it's been a serious test. I was really disappointed with Oregon's loss in the recent College Football Playoffs and have been watching a very promising Blazers season go down in a heap of balky shoulders and busted up digits.

Fortunately, baseball keeps me even-keeled and contemplative, and I have the kindness of others with their bubbly envelopes to keep me going through the long winter. Fellow Archer fan Greg of Plaschke, Thy Sweater Is Argyle sent over a quality pile of cards suited for my collecting needs, even as I'm trying to evaluate why I think I have these sort of needs.


I don't know if it's a west coast thing or what, but roughly 20% of all cards I pull seem to be Dodgers cards. If it wasn't for the fact that roughly 20% of all card bloggers are Dodgers fans, this would be a problem, but I rarely have issues with finding a suitor for a Dodgers pull. Greg found a nice bunch of Cardinal minis for me to drool over and then encase in plastic where they can't absorb any more of my drool.


The Motte, you see, is serial numbered. The Beltran, you see, has no number at all. That's a sneaky pair of ex-Cardinals.


AHHH! How did this wrong-headed Red player end up in here? I suppose it's because I still have this silly Propaganda insert set to finish up from 2009 Topps Update. Did you notice that I hyperlinked that? Hint, hint...


Boom, clap, POW! It's a Jimmy Edmonds jersey card that I'd never seen before. I like it. I'll take it!


And here's a purple guy that I've never heard of. I looked him up and his pro stats end after 2013 with no news stories to speak of, so that's probably not a good sign.

2 comments :

  1. Glad you enjoyed the cardboard, thanks again for the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see maybe a propaganda set with a little more bite to it.

    Maybe like a Randy Johnson card "SHOW BIRDS NO MERCY"

    Or a Ray Chapman "NEVER SAY DIE"

    Or a Roger Clemens "RRRRAAHHH! ROCKET SMASH!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.