Monday, May 15, 2017

Plain, White, Old and New


A couple of plain white envelopes deliver the goods and keep me on my toes. 

By some weird scheduling quirk, the Cardinals are in the midst of their first of three off days out of the next eight. Theoretically, it should mean I have more time to dedicate to baseball cards since I'm not actively watching baseball as much, but being that it's Monday and I'm a bit sleep deprived, I am just going to power through this. David of the non-keyboard friendly "é rayhahn, rayhahn" is a Twins fan living near the St. Louis area, and he kindly hooked me up with some stuff that only a lifelong Cardinals fan who doesn't live anywhere near St. Louis could enjoy: pocket schedules! He hooked me up with two copies, one for the collection and one for general use (of course) as well as some other schedules to hang up in various locations throughout my home. I do collect these things and someday will probably try to track down some older pocket schedules to fill some holes in my collection. And now I always know what time the game is on (minus two hours, unless delayed by rain or other random acts of squirrel.)


BoSox fan Mark Hoyle is undoubtedly celebrating his Celtics game 7 victory tonight, and he also saw fit to send a good ol' PWE my way recently.


Inside the envelope were some very PWE-friendly 2017 Panini album stickers. Matt Carpenter is thinking of a particularly riotous off-color joke as he follows through on his swing here.


This is a rainbow foil Oh rookie parallel, if you're into that sort of thing. I mean, you wouldn't know by the scan, but trust me - it's shiny.


Nope, I still don't own all of the Blazers cards that were released when I was still in high school for some stupid reason. Portland fell in and out of love with Pack-Man Fever about as quickly as you can with an undrafted free agent who shined in his brief moments of playing time while he was buried on the bench on a very talented team a la Drazen Petrovic. They couldn't really keep him, so he was one and done in Portland. Hopefully Nurkic Fever lasts a bit longer.


Mark is one of the many generous people who has helped out with my 2017 Heritage quest, sending over this short printed Petey Pedroia.


But this one truly takes the cake, as this 1939 Play Ball Lon Warneke becomes the oldest card in my collection by more than a decade. It's a little toasty on the edges, which is just a good reminder that everything was probably a bit more combustible in your grandparents hey day. I love this!

2 comments :

  1. It's funny,to me Robert Pack is a Nugget, always will be. Whenever I come across him with another team it makes me do a double take as if something is wrong with the card. Even though by the time I discovered the sport he was with the Bullets and I have more cards of him with the Mavericks than any other team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had grabbed a small lot of the Playballs for just one card. The rest have been getting passed around

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.