Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Rediscover 2014


Back to the (near) past. 

Thorzul Will Rule is one of the increasingly rare blogs that has been around longer than mine has, and is still going strong in 2017. I always have to respect the blog that sticks to the O.G. Blogger format. Thorzul's annual Trade Me Anything has also been around longer than I've been doing whatever it is that I do here, and I was pleased to be a participant once again this year.

Trade Me Anything is an annual trade off of the contents of the contents of a Topps Update box, and while I didn't need anything from the basic Cardinals team set this time around, I managed to claim a David Freese buyback card. Of course, the stamped Freese card isn't from his glorious 2011 season, but instead from all the way back in 2014. This happens to be the last year that Topps put together a boring white bordered set. I've come to peace with buybacks in general, but stamping anything so recent just seems incredibly unnecessary. Surely we could have celebrated the cardboard accomplishments of Topps (or whatever it is we're supposed to be commemorating) without including the past five, ten, or even fifteen years.

It would be nice, of course, if Topps managed to put together a set worth remembering for the first time in awhile. I suppose it remains to be seen what 2018 will bring, but the early images aren't super promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.