Thursday, August 15, 2019

The Goods


A high quality cache of cards from @breakdowncards includes multiple numbered Yadis. 

I've reached a point in my card wheelings and dealings that I definitely feel like I'm overstuffing a lot of packages and just hoping something sticks. I just have entirely too many cards that don't fit my collection right now. I really need to stop buying packs, boxes, random lots at shows... yikes! In any case, this is big reason why it can be nice to receive a small amount of cards in one of these exchanges, where every card is super excellent. In the case of this grouping from Breakdown Cards, it was even free of shipping charges.


Aledmys Diaz hasn't done a ton since his surprising All-Star rookie season campaign, but he seems to have settled in as a solid infield utility type with the Astros, who are basically an All-Star team by themselves at this point.


Sheesh, I don't know what to say about this guy. Some pitchers just seem to be completely snakebitten with the injury stuff. The card looks really nice, though. I love the blue frame with the black border.


How many minor league team logo cards are there in the world? There needs to be a lot more!


Roger Maris doesn't have a ton of Cardinals cards, so I'm always excited when I obtain a new one. To someone who grew up in the '80s, it's somewhat shocking to realize that Maris isn't in the Hall of Fame considering how much I would hear about his single season home run record and his mentions among the Yankees greats. I feel like his early death probably worked against his campaign for the Hall.


I was really excited about Oh, the man who came to MLB with multiple nicknames, but he didn't really stick. He spent a couple of half-seasons as the Cardinals closer, but it wasn't memorable.


This is really awesome. I actually thought it was a custom at first, but it turns out it's from a 2003 food issue (!) honoring the 35th anniversary of the Padres. This is definitely my favorite Ozzie acquisition of 2019. I might have to celebrate and actually eat at a Carl's Jr.


The Carl's Jr. card is even better than this Padres throwback of the Wizard, and that's saying something. People love these cards. I kind of love these cards. I don't really know why, but it's true. I have a copy of the same Diamond Anniversary parallel of Ozzie's card with the Cardinals (from Series 1), but this was new to me. I just need to chase down the other parallels now.


Finally, here's a Yadi parallel numbered to 199. I'll let you in on a little secret, for those of you who are still reading by this point. Molina's cards often conclude my posts because Blogger batch loads uploaded images by filename when you go that route, and I usually name these images yadi(whatever). The letter Y is late in the alphabet, so there you have it. I could obviously rearrange these images to my heart's content, but that would cost me precious seconds.

Anyway, what I was going to say is that Panini Chronicles is super weird and intimidating. I bought a blaster and a jumbo pack of this year's basketball release, and I couldn't even bring myself to write about it. It seems to be their backdoor way to release even more sets without releasing even more sets, and it breaks my brain. You can get Score baseball (and basketball, which is weird) cards in 2019, but Panini won't even make a real Score baseball set. How hard would that be?

3 comments :

  1. A lot of people seem to be going gaga over the Chronicles sets, but I don't get it, and like you said, it seems a little shady too! That Ozzie Diamond Anniversary is top notch, the cognac version looks pretty great too, it matches the uni a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.