Friday, February 5, 2010

Airbrushed Fridays: 1988 Topps Traded #49T

This one could practically write itself. If that were the case, however, there'd be no use for me around these parts. I actually had a hard time finding an airbrushed card in my '80s box, so I had to go back to the well and pull out the old reliable traded set binder. Perhaps I should consider taking submissions for this at some point.

Tom Herr was the second baseman on three Cardinals World Series teams in the 1980s, which included a monster 1985 year for the otherwise productive but not a huge run producer. In '85, Herr drove in 110 runs (his previous high until that season had been 49) and was a pivotal part of the Runnin' Redbirds second World Series run.

Why did Topps airbrush Tom's photo? Early on in the 1988 season following the second World Series loss, this time to the Minnesota Twins, Tom was traded for another Tom (Brunansky) as the Cards hoped to bolster their offense. The Cardinals went on to have a lousy year which was par for the course for awhile in even years.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? Tom apparently is wearing some sort of cartoon army helmet and the shirt is totally drawn on him. This one is pretty obvious.

2 comments :

  1. Being a Twins collector, I of course have this in my collection, and it has to be the worst airbrush example that I could think of to show, too.

    You forgot to mention that Topps DIDN'T airbrush the smile off Herr's face; he did nothing by whine and pout that whole season, until the Twins were finally rid of him the next offseason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was 1988 the dark ages? That kind of crap could fly in '58, but 20 years ago I would have thought that tecnology had advanced beyond the point of that card. I doo love airbrush fridays though!

    word verification= wordg, like Word! G!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.