Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Wizard on a Wrapper


Wonders never cease.

I am not typically a fan of the Gypsy Queen line, but while on vacation last week I saw a familiar face on the cover of the pack wrappers of the latest Topps issue. I don't recall ever seeing Ozzie get the center stage treatment before in a baseball card product, so it was enough to convince me to allocate some of my vacation spending dollars on something I normally stay away from.


I picked up one of the 3-pack Value Packs and was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps it was heavily influenced by the fact that the first card in each pack was a Cardinal (never hurts!), but I am actually liking this year's design. I can't really say why.


There's still not much of a chance of me actually collecting this set, but I may be convinced to pick up a few more packs before the whole thing gets stale. At the very least, there's still a ton of Cardinals cards that I need and that always keeps me interested.


Matt Carpenter has been on fire to start this season and is resembling the MVP-caliber player he was in 2013 so far. This is just my 34th unique card of his. He was never really a top prospect, so the man just doesn't have very many cards.


Each Value Pack comes with a bonus pack of retail exclusive white framed quasi-parallels. I'm always a sucker for framed cards.


I could probably be convinced to trade these away.


I wonder what prevents Topps from integrating retired player cards into its base product without making it a gimmick or part of an insert concept. Tradition? They seem to toss in guys like Mays into many of their other products.


Here's one of the inserts. I don't like the Giants.

3 comments :

  1. Save me that Pillars of the Community insert. I'll see what Cardinals I can find for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Giants. Would love to trade for that Mays. Want the Posey too but looks like Colbey beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.