Monday, December 19, 2016

Anatomy of a Baseball Card: Bob Gibson 1992 Ziploc


A truly odd oddball. 

To get into my head space in 1992, I would have definitely dipped into my budget to purchase food storage bags if it came with a baseball card included, despite my meager $3.50 hourly wage. With that being said, I don't know how it came to be that I didn't know about Ziploc baseball cards until 2016. Perhaps this was a regional release, or maybe you had to send in 40 proofs of purchase of Ziploc branded bags to get a complete set of these cards. I really have no idea. What I do know is that I found a nearly 25 year old oddball card of Bob Gibson at last weekend's card show, in fully color, likely unlicensed but with team logos firmly in tact.


Note the lack of any MLB or MLBPA logos on the back. Robert Gibson thinks this is pretty suspicious. DowBrands Inc. skimps on the stats in favor of a bio that touts Gibby's five 20-win seasons, not knowing that 25 years in the future the Pitching Win would have been abolished and replaced by wORPmArP or some other advanced metric too impossible for early '90s puny human brains to possibly comprehend.

He also no-hit Pittsburgh in 1971, though.

2 comments :

  1. What sort of job were you doing for that $3.50/an hour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got onto just like that I like to know what it is wort

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.