Thursday, May 17, 2018

Coke Was It


The biggest taste you've ever found. 

I've been in a bit of a purge mode lately. Oddly enough, this includes purging of various watch lists and shopping carts online. This means I'm actually buying stuff that I've had on my radar for, sometimes, years. Don't ask me how my brain works, because I'm not even sure.

The next thing in line to get purged from my watch list (and thus added to my collection) is the 1981 Topps Coca-Cola Cardinals team set. This was available for a fairly low price on eBay, and came with a second set (if there's any interest out there.) The cards are nearly identical to their 1981 Topps set counterparts, along with recently traded players and Coke logos added.


Here's a good example. Topps didn't manufacture team sets for every team in the league, but without actually counting (so much work!) it appears there are about a dozen or so different team sets.


Here's a look at the back of one of the cards, with the Coca-Cola logo fully represented, as well as more trademark verbiage at the bottom.


As I had mentioned, there are photos of traded players as well. Sorensen gets a wonky airbrush here instead of his flipped up cap photo from the Traded set.


This one is another alternate photo, though both Sutter's Traded set card and this one look a lot better than the lesser players who happened to switch teams.

5 comments :

  1. I have a completely irrational love for this set. There aren't even any Dodgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baseball players were so much more beautiful back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Topps Coke & Burger King sets from the late 70's and early 80's. Sutter looks so different without his fluffy beard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll trade for the extra Coke set if no one else wants it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of the 1981 Topps design. Nice cards!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.