Monday, February 4, 2019

A Tale of Two Blazers Breaks


One was great, and one was not so great. 

In my continued quest to be a little smarter about my card purchases, I went back to the eBay well and bought into a couple of breaks. As usual, I snagged the Trail Blazers. Last year's Donruss Optic had a "Fast Break" configuration that includes some parallels and fancy sparkly signed cards. While I didn't get any of the parallels (and there are way too many parallels in Panini products especially), I was able to finish off my Optic base team set and ended up with this gaudy Damon Stoudamire sticker auto. Not bad! I wish the Blazers could wear throwbacks like the one Stoudamire is wearing, which I believe dates back to around 2004?


On the other hand, Panini's Crown Royale is a hobby only (I think?) product with an all-die cut set. It probably has some nice inserts and such, but I wouldn't know as I only ended up with two of the base cards and nothing else.


There's a certain amount of failure built in to every group break, just like any pack or box one might purchase. I didn't check the configuration carefully, so it's entirely possible there just weren't many cards available in this auction. I still need to track down most of this team set, now that I know it exists. I just won't be all that motivated to, because as a product this Crown Royale set just feels a little flimsy and gratuitous.

5 comments :

  1. Crown Royale used to be a cool product... back when it was a Pacific brand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Pacific pull really was a tough one. But that Lillard auto is sweet. Those breaks really can be feast or famine. I like breaks but I just have to know going in it may not go my way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crown Royale is a great looking product. Been a fan of it since the 90's. The only downside is that they essentially look almost exactly the same year in and year out. As for group breaks, the last one I paid for... I did really well. Don't think I'll ever join one again, because I want to end on a high note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy that Damon's jersey is a "throwback." Congrats on that auto! Seeing some (not all) of these basketball sets makes me wish they would try some in baseball too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.