Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Mostly Retro


They're old and sometimes off-centered. 
 
Bob from The Best Bubble has struck again with another batch of fun cards. Honestly, I've loved opening the envelopes he's sent me in the past, because I never have the faintest idea what is going to be inside.


Bill Dillman is missing a hat, which means he was new to the Cardinals in 1970. In fact, if you look at the back of the card, it shows that he most recently played for Rochester in 1968 and 1969 and mentions that he had just been drafted by the Cardinals. I'm not sure what kind of draft was held in 1970 for young players who hadn't appeared in the majors in a few years, but B-Ref mentions that he was "purchased" in 1969 by the Cardinals and then later was traded to Montreal before he ever made an appearance with St. Louis.


This Wilmer Mizell card may have seen better days, but it's not often that a 1953 Topps card makes an appearance in my mailbox. That's always a welcome sight!


Here's one that's a little more recent, but not that recent. There were a lot of short printed and/or numbered So Taguchi cards in what would technically be considered his rookie year of 2002. There's still a bunch I need to track down.


Dude, I'm a Cardinal! I swear! Just look at the hat... oh, nevermind.
 

The most modern card of the post goes to David Freese. This is actually a glowing orange parallel, but my scanner absolutely cannot pick up that color and ends up just showing it as a light pink. I've seen several other scans of this parallel set that look this way, so I feel a little better that it's not just me or my discount twelve year old scanner from a Circuit City going out of business sale that's to blame here.

3 comments :

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.