Wednesday, September 13, 2017

A Brick of Wants


Part one of a huge lot of stuff from Community Gum. 

It's not often that I'm overwhelmed by stuff, but there's a whole lot of stuff... literal, physical stuff... hanging out on my desk. Jon of Community Gum was a major contributor to that this summer, sending a ton of set needs my way. In part two, we'll look at some of the stuff for my team/player collections. For now, you should check out Jon's PC's which now include a quest to collect all cards of (nearly) all members of last year's Cubs team. I suppose they won some sort of series that seems pretty important to people, after all.


I do love a good array of minis. Unfortunately, I botched this scan a bit, but it's a nice mix of characters. You've got your ballplayers, your top hat, an actual pirate (lower case) and Nancy Reagan. Wow. These all came from the 2015 Ginter set, which Jon helped me out a great deal on. Of course, if you look at my desk, there are tons and tons and tons of cards from other sets that I collect.


We've been working on the 2008 Goudey set since, well, 2008. As much as I miss some serious competition for Topps, I don't miss Upper Deck's short print heavy sets. The cards look nice, but it was always aggravating to think of tracking down all of the cards. (Remember Timeline?)


Some older Heritage wants were eliminated, including a bunch of harder to find stuff from the 2010 set. Ham got to go into space and never had to worry about silly things like short prints.


I already had one of theses Matt Holliday cards for my Holliday collection (go figure), but a second card was still needed for my 2009 Topps Heritage set because I am crazy.


Ichiro is just bursting through the headlines here! This was around the time The Baseball Project's song "Ichiro Goes to the Moon" was being written. It's definitely worth a listen.


Hey, it's that guy who has been hitting all of the home runs. Save some home runs for the rest of the team, guy! This one is an insert from the 2017 set. I would probably want all of these Topps game-inspired cards even if I didn't collect all things Heritage.


Finally, here's Yaz in commemoration of his MLB debut in 1961. Yaz figures prominently in the excellent Cardboard Gods book, which got its start as the Cardboard Gods blog, which in turn figured prominently in my decision to start my own blog. Basically, Carl Yastrzemski is my muse by association.

1 comment :

  1. It was fun going through all of your want lists trying to find a little bit of the more obscure stuff. Man, do I miss trading. You know what's crazy? That wasn't even everything that I could have sent your way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.