Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Weird Cards


Card show finds that I had trouble categorizing. 

I was in a buying mood at the last card show, which isn't always the case. I picked up a bunch of fairly odd stuff, much of it not even baseball, at a table that had dime boxes where I spent most of my time. Some of these cards are not even for me, and I bet you can guess which ones they are.


Before I really dig into the dime box stuff, I have to mention that this was a fantastic show for loose packs. I used to go to these shows occasionally back when this blog was in its early years, and would often lament the lack of anything I could afford to actually open. Usually, you would see a couple people with hobby boxes (out of my price range) and that's it. This time, one guy had a variety of packs for 75 cents while another (apparently new) guy had multiple tables of open boxes from the '80s through present. Basically, his selection was what I wish you could find in a local card shop, if we actually had any.

The Andre Drummond blue jersey card was pulled from one of these loose packs, which only ended up costing me $1.50 if I recall.


This, of course, was a dime box pull. I saw a lot of 1982 Donruss at this show for some reason. I don't remember ever owning this card, but as a fan of the multi-player cards of the '80s overall (another thing that Fleer did best), I decided to buy it for the sheer purpose of scanning it for the blog.


I have no earthly idea why I bought this card. I think my still sleepy brain was amused at a time where Kobe Bryant and Shareef Abdur-Rahim were peers on the court, even though Abdur-Rahim was a very good player in his own right. This card even has the start of a fold on it -- not quite a crease -- that could probably be flattened out over time if I felt like it. I don't.


Random Duck Alert! Random Duck Alert!


I must have been riding pretty high after the Eagles Super Bowl win, because I actually bought some football cards, something I never do at card shows. I don't even like looking at Ducks cards because they're always way overpriced, especially when it comes to Marcus Mariota.


This certainly falls into the category of "weird cards", which is where I got the name of this post. No one expects to see a red Sonics jersey, let alone Patrick Ewing in a Sonics jersey of any color. It's just strange. Any random hipster can rock a Kevin Durant Seattle jersey, but you'd achieve some sort of hipster gold status if you wore Patrick Ewing in red.


I bought a handful of '80s football packs in my youth days, before I had any idea what I was into. I remember the stickers looking really cool, but I don't think I had any idea who any of the players were in a 1983 set unless they happened to be in some sort of TV commercial.


Back to the present. I guess I lied about Mariota, because this definitely only cost me ten cents.


Mack Hollins was an unheralded backup rookie wide receiver who wasn't much of a factor in the playoffs. He did come up with some big catches during the season, and the price, again, was right.


Panini releases NBA sets every few days it seems. Totally Certified was something I totally missed, which also probably means it's a hobby only one. I scooped up three quarters of the Blazers team set for some coins.


These Rediscover Topps buybacks are destined to be dime and quarter box staples for years to come. Has anyone ever seen one of these sell for a decent amount? Some of these have different colored stamps, which doesn't add anything to their appeal whatsoever.


Another Ducks card for me, as well as another Sonic.


I really like the cardboard/card stock that Panini uses for these Donruss [fill-in-the-blank] Kings inserts, as well as the Diamond Kings sets of recent years. Topps doesn't do anything like this, unless it's high end and super thick.


Finally, I also grabbed my first 2018 non-base baseball card in the form of this Yadier Molina "not from any specific game, event, or season" card. It was not ten cents, unfortunately, and it's going to Erin. If anyone out there has another one of these, let's talk.

6 comments :

  1. I have a Durant Sonics jersey, but I am no where near being a hipster. I lived in Seattle and got it at a game during his rookie season. I do love the Sonics brick red jerseys, I am always on the lookout for Gary Payton cards where he is in the red uni for my mini-PC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I will become a Sonics Patrick Ewing super collector

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the Rediscover Topps LISTED at ridiculous prices. I could buy any and all I found in dime boxes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That 1983 Topps Sticker set is filled with big names and some amazing action shots. That Fouts is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing Patrick Ewing in a Sonics jersey is always a strange sight, seeing Hakeem Olajuwon in a Raptors jersey always seems wrong as well.

    And Shareef was a hell of a player in his prime, unfortunately very few people seem to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing the Shoebox Legends frankenset thing with any Topps Buybacks I can get my hands on cheaply, with the twist that I'm going to make an entire 792-card repurposed sketch card master set out of them, with at least three 9-card "insert" sets (football, non-sports, and non-Topps, with Bowman, A&G, & Leaf Memories also being strong possibilities, & maybe basketball & hockey too if there are any out there), and also an autograph page using de-encased Archives buybacks from the past couple years. It is excessively ambitious, and arguably pointless, but maybe that's just all life even is, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.