Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The Beast, Unleashed


Retro Cardinals and Topps Heritage set filler. 

Way back around Christmastime, GCA of The Collective Mind sent along a really nice grouping of older Cardinals cards and older Topps Heritage needs. I love cards from before I was born, because they really feel like an artifact of time that I feel like I want to study. I'm not sure today's cards will make that kind of an imprint, but considering the continued love for all things '80s, maybe society will eventually feel nostalgic for... I don't know... 2010?


These two "rookie stars" are just waiting for their call. Just look at them!


1970 Topps is this current year's Heritage focus. After seeing a few of these cards lately, it's easy to see how the 2019 set is just a bunch of guys posing for no apparent reason. There were a lot more close-up head shots like this in 1970, though.


There was a healthy amount of 1975 minis, including this adorably mis-cut Claude Osteen. Just because it's a mini doesn't make the airbrushed monstrosity on Claude's head any less prominent.


It looks like someone told Ron Willis a joke that he doesn't quite get.


What a collection of players we have here! Even if this is water damaged, it's still a great card in my book. Joe Torre might not even deserve to hang out with these guys, but this goes in the Torre section of my binder just the same.


As mentioned above, a good portion of this package was devoted to 2005 Topps Heritage cards that I didn't have already. As time continues to pass, I am growing more and more appreciative of the sets I collect from the days before I thoughtlessly walked back into this crazy hobby. I need more of these! It's possible that time really does heal all wounds, as I don't even mind posting a scan of Barry Bonds and his enormous head here on the blog anymore.


Speaking of heads, the tuberous head of Placido Polanco graces Cards on Cards for the first time in awhile. I always really liked Polanco as a player, though his trade from St. Louis to Philadelphia was instrumental in the Cardinals (eventually!) winning a World Series.

The beast, as GCA stated, was unleashed. It's way past time for me to feed it.

3 comments :

  1. It's easy to forget how awesome Carpenter was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff. My love for the 56T design carries over to the 2005 Heritage set. And that Torre card is awesome. Vintage league leader cards that feature hall of famers are fun to collect and are usually much more affordable compared to the player's base card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg always sends such great stuff! And Ron Willis really does look lost :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.