Friday, October 21, 2022

Red and Fiery


Another #CrackinWaxMailDay from @CrackinWax brings in more Prizm and Fire. 
 
After avoiding baseball breaks for the majority of the summer (there was really nothing new worth looking at!), I seem to have fallen back into a routine of scoping out good deals for new Cardinals cards. This latest round from charity-focused breaker Crackin' Wax including boxes of Panini Prizm and Topps Fire. These sets weren't new to me, but I still have a ways to go before I'm done with getting all of the commonly available Cards cards from them.

The Prizm break netted me just one needed card, but it was a nice one. The red Prizm Lars Nootbaar (Nooooooooooot!) looks good because, well, he's a Cardinal.


Topps Fire produced some of the first new cards of "new" Cardinal Albert Pujols. Even though Albert's time in the league is up like Yadi's, I expect there to be plenty of his cards to go around in the near future, especially next season when there will undoubtedly be some things out there to celebrate some of the milestones he hit this season.


Topps Fire, of course, features several different base card designs. They're all a bit silly. I think the design on the Pujols card is my favorite if I had to pick a winner. It has a sort of yellow caution tape look to it, somehow.


These would have looked better as a die-cut. Juan Yepez is using a pink bat here, which may have been on Mother's Day. Since Yepez wasn't with the team last Mother's Day, this photo may have been from May 8th of this year (a 4-3 loss to the Giants - the road jersey checks out.) If that's indeed the case, this set had a very quick turnaround for photos in a current Topps product. I'm impressed.


Fire's inserts are even wilder than the base cards, not that you were expecting anything less. Yadi is, indeed, Fired Up here.


This die-cut set is actually called En Fuego (the card numbers have an EF- prefix) but the words On Fire are confusingly printed in English on the front. I think most native English speaking dummies like myself know what En Fuego means.


Boom! Another new Pujols card! I'm up to 925 unique Pujols cards in my collection, but that only puts me at #6 among TCDB collectors. Of course, I only collect his Cardinals cards, so that's not too bad.

6 comments :

  1. Lars Nootbaar? That's some name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't look at the "To the moon" inserts without thinking of the show the honeymooners. "To the moon, Alice, to the moon!”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those are pretty sweet! I don't like Fire much, but this year's, especially the inserts, might get me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't get over that "what am I even collecting" feeling with those Panini cards. When do they get out of the baseball business so I don't have to feel so guilty about accumulating their cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We opened a a hobby box of Fire. It was a pretty good rip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoying seeing the die cuts in Fire this year, nice pick ups

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.