Tuesday, March 7, 2023

A Flock of Group Breaks

 

The latest batch of @flywheels box break goods shows off some interesting parallels. 
 
More fun stuff from Cardboard Collections Affordable Group Breaks hit the mailbox awhile back. This time around, I did pretty well in the parallel department with my chosen Cardinals selections. I also added a few more cards to my collection that represented another bird team.


The 2003 Fleer Box Score set features actual newspaper box scores as a background motif, although these games have nothing to do with the actual team represented on the cards. I snagged two of the 1st Edition parallels from the set, which feature an all-silver background and are numbered to just 150 copies.


Switching over to a much newer set, this final (?) offering of Panini Absolute baseball came with all sorts of parallels because, well, it's Panini. I'm told this is a Lava parallel, although I'm not seeing any indication of heat or fire here.


In the times following 9/11, the American flag was seemingly everywhere, and that included baseball cards. I landed a sizeable chunk of needed cards from the 2003 Upper Deck 40-Man set and also wound up with this patriotic parallel of one of the top players that I collect.


More parallel madness? Check out this Holo Silver card numbered 99/99 from the '99 Pacific Paramount set. I'm going to throw this up on eBay as true "eBay 1 of 1" and sell it for 99 thousand dollars. It will work. Trust me!


A couple of the football breaks were right within my sweet spot for the green bird team ('90s, pre uniform-change.) SkyBox made a lot of fun looking NFL sets right out of the gate, none of which I could really afford back in the day.


I still don't even really know what Collector's Edge was or why they felt like serial numbering every single card, even though they were printing them by the truckload like everyone else. I do know that these look cool as hell, comic book style font notwithstanding.

3 comments :

  1. I always enjoy seeing early '90s Cunningham cards. Don't think I ever came across that 1994 Collector's Edge card, though I did see a lot of the '92 and '93 sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edmonds is pelvis-thrusting for 'Murica!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.