Monday, September 6, 2010

It's Not Over Yet

Last month, the Cardinals were locked in a tight battle for the NL Central crown with the a big series looming. Some incendiary words were said to the press, heads were kicked, suspensions were handed out and somehow I ended up winning a contest by correctly predicting that the Cards would sweep. What should have been a turning point in the season was, well, a turning point in a way. St. Louis would go on to to lose 13 of their next 18 games after sweeping the Reds in Cincinnati and fall 8 games behind in the division before the Reds came to Busch this past weekend. Things are looking up, however, as the Cards have won 3 of 4 and trail the Reds by 6 games with 27 games still left to play.

Meanwhile, here's a few cards I got from Nachos Grande as a result of my winning of the contest. I felt a bit cocky about picking the Cards to sweep, but I honestly thought that the pitching matchups favored the Redbirds at the time.

I still have nightmares about the 1996 postseason. Seriously. It keeps me up at night. This Brian Jordan card, however, is celebrating the sweep of the Padres in the NLDS and not the horror show of the Atlanta series.

Here's the big prize - a Pujols mini blue back Sport Royalty card from 2008 Goudey. I still have a lot of work to do on the main Goudey set - all short prints at this point - but this goes straight into the Cardinals collection. Can the Cardinals get back in the race? There will be a lot riding on this man's shoulders.

3 comments :

  1. A's fans could be posting the same thing the way the Rangers are playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the cards...but now I sit and simply hope St. Louis doesn't manage to catch my Reds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Lou Brock card. It looks like he's daring the pitcher to blink while he steals second.

    As far as the Cards winning the NL Central, I'll just keep my mouth shut so I don't jinx them. But I am keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.