Wednesday, November 13, 2013

No Passion for Ginter


Fessing up about a set I usually have more words for.

I've been sitting on a small pile of 2013 Allen & Ginter cards for awhile now. It should have been a sign that this was going to happen when I was perfectly content with the release date getting pushed back. But as the blog posts rolled in from other corners and I finally got my own hands on some of the cards, I really struggled with anything to say about them. Yes, I'm going to collect this set. But I didn't really have the passion to write about it this year. I usually save at least one blaster for a full proper review, and there's always been my fake Gint-a-Cuffs post. This year, I've really had nothing to say, but I'm learning to be okay with it.


Instead, here are just a few cards I got from a Tribecards group break. Carlos Beltran was given a qualifying offer by the Cardinals (14 million dollars for a year is no chump change for a 37 year old) but he apparently is seeking a three year deal. With the depth that the Cardinals have in their system, that deal is clearly going to happen elsewhere. It's a shame that the Cards couldn't finally bring Beltran a World Series ring, but there are mobs of players out there who don't have one of those rings. Beltran just happens to be the one that excels at playoff baseball.


After sitting out the year following Tommy John surgery, Jason Motte won't be regaining his closer roll. At least, he won't be doing it anytime soon. Trevor Rosenthal apparently will begin the year as closer, with Motte still working his way back into playing shape. Considering how well Rosie pitched last year, I have no issues with this.


Gladiators! Mount up. Oh, wait...


Finally, here's a mini of Hall of Fame basketballer (and former Blazer) Bill Walton. Anyone who was weaned on '90s basketball remembers Bill as an over-the-top blowhard of a commentator, while those that are older than I remember him as a long-haired hippie basketball savant. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, so that left me with Walton's '80s days of shifting from bench to bench, having his biggest successes on the loaded '85-'86 Celtics team.

I should have a 2013 Ginter want list up soon, in the usual spot. I still don't have a lot of it, but I will take any extras that are floating around.

1 comment :

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.