Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Future


Time to plant all of my young baseball cards in the ground and watch them grow into money trees.

A little while back, just before Wacha Wacha Wacha fever was breaking out, I had the good fortune to participate in a group break put on by Sportscards From The Dollar Store. I'm always excited about minor league cards for whatever reason, and right now is a very juicy time to be a fan of Cardinals minor leaguers. Don't worry, I have already started squirreling away cards from simpler times for when the inevitable hype deflates and leaves everyone disappointed.


Piscotty still reminds me of a certain Italian snack and less of an actual player, but the reports on him have been good so far. This was also one of the few 2013 Topps Pro Debut cards that didn't have a red frame which rendered it virtually indistinguishable from any old Cardinals card from this year.


I was lucky enough to get in early on the Wacha thing. I was blown away by what he was doing in spring training, but tempered my expectations. Some amazing things happened late in September and early in October, and then my expectations were actually outpaced by the superlatives being tossed around by aging announcers and baseball pundits. He's going to be really good. He might even be really good now. I'm not going to be shocked if he's not the best pitcher on the staff, though.

By the way, everyone in this break lucked out when it turned out that every card in the Topps Chrome box was a refractor. A Wacha refractor is a good refractor to have right now. (I should sell, sell, sell, shouldn't I?)


That being said, I am all for acquiring as many Wacha cards as possible. It's fun!


And here's Kolten Wong not getting picked off to end a World Series game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.