Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Anyone Have Any Luck With 13-Year-Old Redemptions?


I'm looking at you, @toppscards

It's been a good while since I've participated in a group break, mostly because the few that I've heard about have been a bit out of my price range. I'm a sucker for a good break from the years I wasn't collecting, though, so I jumped in on some flashy Cardinals cards in a recent Nachos Grande break.


Topps Tek remains a crazy mystery to me, but I I love staring at all of the patterns. I wonder how much of the Ozone layer was destroyed in creating some of these experimental sets.


Does that say "Veteran"? Drew? In 2000? I do think I need more Tek cards.


This is from the 1999 Topps Gallery set. I think this subset is a little more difficult to pull than the regular base cards.


The break wasn't all Topps, as we also stepped into the wayback machine for some mid-'90s Flair. Always nice.


What two sets could Topps combine today? Gypsy Queen Chrome? Finest Ginter?


Here's Fernando Vina, running away from his bat... or a swarm of bees or something.

You may have heard about some custom cards that were created by a friend of the Nachos Grande blog recently. These were made in the style of 2008 Allen & Ginter minis, some of my favorite things around. I may or may not have received some of these cards in person. That's something I just can't confirm (I have so many cards, you see.) I would say that if I did receive said cards, they were probably pretty amazing looking. However, all trace of these things seem to have been scrubbed from the internet including the interview with the creator, so it was probably all a dream. Rats.

2 comments :

  1. I just found a 10 year old Upper Deck redemption card in a collection I purchased over this weekend. Oh well... it makes a nice conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're trying your luck with 13-year-olds? Step over here...I'm Chris Hansen.....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.