Monday, March 2, 2015

Old School Like That


Old stuff.

I don't show off vintage cards here nearly enough, so I thought I'd focus this post on the elder statesmen of the cards that Night Owl Cards most recently sent me. I have slowly been working on my want list behind the scenes here over the past several months, and I think the vintage years are worth tackling soon as I really have no idea what I actually need. (I'm going to go with "anything expensive" as the answer to that.) Here are a few flawed beauties that I received from what is widely accepted as the best of all of the blogs out there, or at least one of the best.


Mike Shannon is still the radio voice of the Cardinals, the resident drunken uncle that tells the story of the St. Louis Nine night after night with reckless abandon. He just seems like a guy you'd want to watch a game and have a beer with. He was a hell of a ball player in his days as I've read and heard, so I'm excited about adding any Shannon card to my collection.


I never seem to remember that Roger Craig was ever a Cardinal, on the other hand. This would certainly be a prime candidate for an Airbrushed Friday, but it's too late for that now. Craig actually pitched for the 1964 championship Cardinals team but is probably best known for his time with the Giants as manager in the '80s and early '90s. Someone decided to write on this card, too, for reasons unknown.


Even more interestingly, one Bill Wetmore felt it necessary to stamp his name on the back. Either that, or someone who wasn't Bill Wetmore stamped it. I'm going to guess it was Bill. I wonder what ol' Bill is up to these days.

2 comments :

  1. I'm going to start personalizing all my cards like Bill Wettmore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Wetmore really needs to show himself, this is going to bother me for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.