Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Back to Baseball


More goodies from @batcavelv as my attention shifts back to the Cardinals. 

With the Trail Blazers concluding their playoff run that ended in the Western Conference Finals earlier this week, my attention is no longer so divided. Unfortunately, the Cardinals are kind of a mess right now, with dreadful starting pitching and a feast-or-famine offense. This is my second straight post to feature goodies from Tracy's Box Breaks, with me picking up a Cardinals slot in a group break back around the Christmas holidays. (Hey, I'm actually posting about something I received in 2019 for once. It's cool.)


A couple of cards from the 2018 Topps Opening Day set helped me finish off my team set, sans a short printed Matt Carpenter card.


Marcell Ozuna had a nice game tonight in the second session of a day-night doubleheader. I'm trying to keep things positive!


Jordan Hicks has two cards in the Topps Chrome Update set from last year, both of which I needed. I still need the Miles Mikolas card from this set, as well as four more from the plain old non-Update Chrome set.


Here's the other Hicks card.

The big thing about this package, however, was the super cool "official" Cardinals magazine (program?) from 1971 that you see at the top of the post. It only has a few pages to it, but there are individual player photos (they are baseball card adjacent, with bios on the back) for the entire roster, as far as I can tell. I may post some scans in a future post. It was a cool find by Tracy, and I am very pleased to own it now. I don't know if they were sold at stadiums during games or somewhere else. It doesn't seem to reference any specific game or date. I am finally visiting St. Louis this summer and hope to find more stuff like this, if time (and money) allows.

3 comments :

  1. The booklet contains the Cardinals team set of Dell Stamps in uncut form. You could buy them as individual booklets or by division or the complet league back in 71. You see these Stamps for sale quite often in cut form

    ReplyDelete
  2. These booklets are cool. Can't wait to see the inside pages of your book. I'm headed off to eBay to see if I can find an Oakland A's copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Dell Stamp booklets are very cool. To add to the collecting headache there are 2 cover variants for most if not all the teams, one with the 39c stamp at the top right corner like shown and one with the top right corner blank with no price stamped.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.