Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Randomly Random


A big box of cards from @batcavelv keeps it fun and random. 

Let's throw it back to last fall once again, when Tracy's Box Breaks sent me a big ol' box of fun. I believe at least part of it went back to a group break I participated in, which as usual contained a nice variety of things for an affordable price. (There may still be some slots left in his latest break -- hit him up on Twitter to find out!)


Panini always seems to toss in some random designs for their Donruss set when it comes to their memorabilia cards, and this one is no exception. Aledmys Diaz now has the unenviable task of trying to fill in for superstar Jose Altuve in Houston during his stint on the IL.


Someday! Someday Alex Reyes will finally be the Golden God, but for now I'll have to setting for this gold (/50) manupatch from the 2016 Topps Pro Debut set.


Here he is, Jordan Hicks, the fastest pitcher in all of baseball. And I have his autograph! The internet can be a wonderful thing sometimes.


I wasn't at all familiar with the framed mini design from 2014 Allen & Ginter (it's red?!), so this is really cool. It's even cooler that it's Yadi.


Nick Plummer is still very young, but he's struggled to hit at every level so far. Let's hope that he figures it out soon.


This might be my first serial numbered card of the Cardinals '80s base thieving star. The Rookie Cup set from 2005 had kind of a strange base design, but I like what they were trying to do at least. It is one of the earlier examples of "the rainbow" which, unfortunately, is spiraling out of control (thanks, Panini!)


I'm not even sure what to make of this card, but it's a nice little oddity for my Waino collection. There's lightning involved, which I think makes it a parallel or at least some sort of insert.


There's a lot of detailed numbers on the back. I think this is part of a game, possibly a very complex one?


Here's a total curveball. Fleer teamed up with an artist in the '60s to illustrate each World Series matchup throughout the years. There's a solid article from about a decade ago about these cards if you're curious. And, you know, Google is your friend. (Well, sometimes.)


I've been paying a lot more attention to minor league cards lately in an attempt to document my needs. I'm always interested in minor league uniforms, which tend to vary from being parent club lookalikes to being as far away from their bosses as possible. This is more in the latter category.


Remember when I was talking about an endless stream of Panini parallels? The rainbow?


This color is called "shock". I don't know if they make a shock colored Crayola crayon. Perhaps Panini should design the next batch of crayons. I still do try to collect these things, so I guess that makes me the sucker.


Will there ever be a player-manager again in MLB, after the unpleasantness with Pete Rose? Rogers Hornsby had to do it all in 1926, and he had the series winning tag on Babe Ruth way back when.

4 comments :

  1. My fave Fleer stickers! I've yet to peruse the checklist but pick them up when found for less than $1 each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That framed Molina relic is really cool. Don't remember seeing any of those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do dig the Pro Debut patches, yours being no exception! Every time I see one of those Rookie Cup cards on the blogs, I always think that I'm gonna go see who's on the checklist, a thought that's usually gone by the time I exit the blog in question, wait... what was I going to do? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That red Molina A&G is something I have never seen before.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.