Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Out of the Woodwork


@jedijeff13 is back in the blogging game, and back to sending me cards. 

Everyone's favorite White Sox fan dusted off the ol' blog recently after a little bit of a layoff, which is always nice to see. Another nice thing to see was a bunch of cards in the mail from said blogger, which showed up in the ol' mailbox back in November. Among the bunch were a bunch of Cardinals cards that I needed, because that's the fuel I need to survive the cold winter months. (I mean, not literally. I don't burn cards anymore.)


This shiny Chrome'd up Matt Carpenter card from 2018 Topps Heritage is not very flammable, even if I did get some crazy ideas. Since Topps dropped the print run of these awhile back, it's definitely a pretty rare occasion for me to pull them.


I'm not really familiar with Panini's Golden Age sets at all, which made this card doubly unfamiliar to me. It appears to be some sort of insert tribute to 1913. Pretty cool, honestly.


Topps apparently ditched the Spring Fever hobby promo awhile back in favor of yet another incarnation of printing new cards on old designs. It would be nice if Topps actually had to come up with a new card design from time to time, although my biggest complaint with these were that they really had no connection to Spring Training itself. I would love to see a Spring Training themed set, but I can't see that happening.


As much as I loathe the return of the Topps Gallery (thanks, Walmart) sets, this insert is really nice looking. The artwork on the base cards is just... not for me. I'll leave it at that.


Jeff sent over a bunch of set needs, including a rare Hit Parade of Champions insert from the old 2008 Goudey set. You know, that one I started about a year into this blog? The one I never finished? That one! These Hit Parade cards are actually smaller than the regular base cards, but I have a hard time talking myself into shrinking down Bill Russell.


Here's David Dahl on one of those retail-exclusive inserts from the 2017 Topps Heritage set. I still need a bunch of these, I believe. I really should have found a way to make it to this month's card show as I recall there's a regular table that usually has lots of recent-ish Heritage inserts.


The golden ticket of the bunch was also from a Panini Golden Age set. This one is a game-used bat chunk from Lou Brock. It's another outstanding card (and package) from an outstanding blogger!

1 comment :

  1. One can never go wrong with a post that contains Golden Age! I've never seen those Hit Parade inserts before, after going to look at them, I can say that the Bill Russell is my favorite by far -- there appears to be a couple of very odd inclusions with that set as well?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.