Sunday, March 1, 2020

Really, Topps?


Hey, I found some 2020 Topps Heritage. 

Every year seems to be the year that I hope to dislike Topps Heritage so I can stop collecting it. Once again, this appears to not be that year. I found brand new cards (which has actually been nearly impossible the past couple of months) on Saturday, and picked up a blaster, a hanger box and three loose packs of the new Topps Heritage set honoring the iconic 1971 set. I was not disappointed, aside from one glaring issue. Let's check out the Cardinals cards from this set, because this is a Cardinals blog, after all.


The insert designs are always the most interesting to me, because, unlike the base set, they are totally made up. This keeps a bit of the black border, but still works somehow. Also, literally any Jack Flaherty card is going to work for me at this point. Just saying...


Oh wow, Paul is really close here.


Anyway, this is the point where I'm supposed to complain about the Cardinals photo shoot photos consisting of the players wearing numberless fake jerseys, but honestly after seeing all of the fake numbers added to these jerseys by Topps, I feel better about this.


Junior Fernandez is super young but has closer potential. Randy Arozarena was a casualty in the Jose Martinez trade. Didn't these Rookie Stars cards have "RC" logos in the past? I find this interesting.


But my one actual complaint was with the blaster I bought. My first Heritage blaster of the year was a "hot box", which as usual contains a purple refractor in each pack. Cool, right?! Unfortunately, I don't know that I have any Twins trade partners at the moment, let alone three. These usually make nice trade fodder, but I really don't know what to do with these three Eddie Rosario cards.

6 comments :

  1. 1971 Topps design was totally original, distinctive and just plain cool for it's time. Topps did a pretty good (but not perfect) job with 2020 Heritage. The insert and relic cards are done very well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 purple Rosarios in one blaster? Wow, that's rough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That purple chrome collation is rough. Perhaps Brian (Highly Subjective) would be interested in one of your Rosarios?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least the Cardinals photoshoot is in an actual ballpark Too many of the Heritage shoots are in non-ballpark locations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Topps did a great job with collation with this blaster. Well... at least it was a hot box. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you were going to say they spelled out Cardinals instead of putting "Cards" on top like the actual '71s.

    Yaddy is one of my favorite cards in the set. Only partially because I just like saying "eeeyyaaadddeeerrrr!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.