Thursday, October 1, 2020

Playoff Night PWE Roundup

 

Cards in small envelopes from @Lost_Collector and @BoRosny (and more!) on a big playoff night. 
 
I've got cards, and I want to talk about them -- to you! Closing out the white paper goods from July are envelopes from a few people I've traded with recently. First up is Mike from A Life Shaped by Baseball.


This month is -- wait, actually last month was (I can't believe it's October!) Allen & Ginter month, belated as some things were due to the weirdness and chaos that is 2020. Unfortunately, I think I'm just not feeling it this year and may not collect it going forward. Here's a fun mini from the 2017 set honoring some important books over the years. I do have a couple of 2020 blasters on order that could possibly change my mind... who knows?


Here's a rookie card of a former Oregon Duck speedster. Nice!


Next up is The Lost Collector, who came through with a few more Cardinals needs.


Tommy Edman doesn't look like he's going to do much, but he has been very impressive in his year plus with the team, and plays many positions. The "third baseman" label doesn't do him justice.


I'm thrilled that Sports Illustrated for Kids apparently still exists thirty years later and still puts a sheet of cards in their magazine. I had a few sheets from when I was younger to give away earlier in the year, and am always glad to find one of the individual cards that's suited to my collection.


Our final participant is Bo of Baseball Cards Come to Life! One of the best things I did for my collection in the past couple of years was to finally get together a proper minor league want list. Since then, I'm sure I've more than doubled my collection this area.


Here's a few more junk wax era minor league cards that I needed. I always liked buying minor league packs, which have not always been a thing, because of their affordability and the way they challenge you to learn some things about a player or team you may never have heard of.


Matt Morris makes an appearance on the always classy 2005 Donruss Diamond Kings set.


I needed this Trevor Rosenthal 2016 Bowman Chrome card, although I could have picked a better night to post this as Rosenthal and his Padres evened up the "series" against the Cards tonight. I'm going all in on Jack Flaherty tomorrow. Nevermind those recent results!


Bo also pitched in a couple of Blazers cards from the tail end of the "Jail Blazers" era. Dale Davis was probably in the middle of a dozen pump fakes here.


Sheed finishes off the post with a ferocious slam.

4 comments :

  1. Glad you liked the SI for Kids card. My subscription accidentally ran out so I missed last months (and it had Gerrit Cole!). I just re-upped for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SI for Kids cards are awesome! I love how they include female athletes and a variety of sports with each issue. Anyways... I'm sure you're watching the game right now. My stomach is all knotted up. I wonder who is gonna be the first to score...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't miss the era, but I do miss having DD as a Blazer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.