Friday, August 16, 2024

An Old Pack of Cards: Footy


English footballers of yesterday. 
 
Welcome back to another in an occasionally series of packs that have been left laying around on my desk for a number of years, waiting for a rainy day to be discussed. Of course, the weather is very nice (and mild for August) right now as I write this, and my desk was completely cleaned off (and disposed of) in my move last October. However, apparently I let a couple of these stale old packs make the trip with me and they ended up on my new desk for some reason.


230 - Pat Van Den Hauwe (Tottenham Hotspur) - If I recall correctly, Erin was sent this pack along with some sort of online order from an apparel store years ago. This set features players from recognizable clubs that most likely all competed in the top level of English football at the time. It was a couple of years before the Premier League officially became a thing, so most likely they would have been competing in what was known at the time as Football League First Division,


224 - Colin Pascoe (Sunderland) - I'm glad they print the team names on the back, because I wouldn't recognize most of these kits.


150 - Mark Robins (Manchester United) - Remember when Sharp was a big player in home electronics?


209 - Glenn Cockerill (Southampton) - There were a lot of striped shirts in this league. It's funny to look back at the early days of the MLS here stateside and see how many teams tried to go with stripes at first.


257 - Rob Newman (Bristol City) - In-action soccer poses can be pretty entertaining.


223 - Marco Gabbiadini (Sunderland) - This is about the point in most packs where I start running out of things to say.


180 - David Bardsley (Queens Park Rangers) - By and large these players are a generation behind most people I would have heard of, and maybe a generation and a half away from today's young stars.


17 - Chris Price (Aston Villa) - Price kind of looks like one of my co-workers. You know, like the guy you duck behind a corner to avoid when you see him coming?


302 - Steve Davis (Burnley) - We end things here with your typical cool '90s guy.

1 comment :

  1. Up the Villa!

    Hope the new season starts well tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.