Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Time to Shine


These Affordable Group Breaks brought in some shiny things. 
 
Facebook group box breaks are pretty much the only consistent thing in my card budget at this point. (It's also one of the only reasons I haven't fired my Facebook account into the proverbial sun.) Let's check out some more goodies from some Affordable Group Breaks.


I began my time with this blog and my slow return to collecting cards on an even slower, but grudgingly acceptant trek towards appreciating shiny Topps Chrome cards. It's sad, and true, but I feel like I have an even bigger problem with how much I love clear acetate cards. This means that stuff like Topps Tek is right up my alley, but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford (or let myself afford) to open a box of it on my own.


This particular Topps Tek break (the 2000 set) was actually a player break, and I am certainly not regretting buying the Rick Ankiel slot. This die cut (basically, it's got round corners) Rick Ankiel pattern is numbered to just 10 copies. Nice!


Fast forward a couple of decades to land on the latest Topps Stadium Club release. The 2023 set was delayed into the early days of 2024, and I haven't heard of any news on a potential 2024 release, not that I'm really keeping up with card release calendars or new product press releases at this point. This one is a Chrome parallel of tonight's Cardinals hero Arenado, who hit a walk off grand slam to put the Brewers to bed for once.


This one rivals Ankiel's special gold card as the best of the lot. Alec Burleson basically carried the Cardinals through their early summer hot streak, but the team has come back down to earth and basically fallen through it since those days. Still, there's a lot to be encouraged about Burleson's work at the plate, and he is seen by some as a young option going forward at first base with a lot of other scenarios in play in the outfield.


I feel like Topps Big League inserts are pretty easy to come by, but at last check I'm still lacking the Paul Goldschmidt card from this very set.


The Affordable Group Breaks often offer up some interesting stuff from the past (which no doubt helps keeps things "Affordable".) This fancy looking thing from thirty years ago would have certainly been out of my price range if I hadn't dropped cards altogether for whatever the hell I was up to in the mid-'90s, but it looks pretty nice right now. The Gregg Jefferies card on the right is a gold parallel numbered to 10,000, which would make it more plentiful than almost every parallel these days. It's very challenging to find any numbered card from the '90s now, however.


It's almost football season, isn't it? Yikes.

2 comments :

  1. Tek is cool. I've always enjoyed acetate cards. For years I was happy if I was able to track down one of the Tek designs of every year they produced it for each of my player collections. But my buddy offered up a bunch of different Bonds to me last week for a good price, so I grabbed them. Doubt I'll go after all of them though. It'd be way too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A number of 90's acetate cards are starting to turn yellow, which is not a good look. I can't help but wonder if all of the acetate cards are gonna turn at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.