Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bernie's Golden Rainbow and Two Cardinals

If you happen to have read some of my pack break posts lately, especially elsewhere, you've probably noticed that I'm on a bit of a mid-'90s kick. 1994 began my "lost era" in sports, as I had recently started college and paid little attention to anything sportswise that didn't involve the Ducks. Eventually, I returned to being a casual sports fan, but I did not return to sports cards until sometime around 2005. Hence, no matter how cruddy a set is, I'm pretty intrigued by low-priced mid-'90s stuff that probably sits around in basements and storage spaces across the country, with packs half-glued together from being exposed to too much heat at one time or another. This is when everything became glossy and every set tried to outdo the previous one.

Here's a pack of 1994 Stadium Club Series 3:

597 - Otis Nixon (Another fun thing about these packs is that I get to find out fun stuff like that Otis Nixon played for Boston.)

691 - Rick Sutcliffe (And then there's Sutcliffe, who most people probably think of as a Cub. I do it, too. I would have to say that Sutcliffe is on Erin's shortlist of broadcasters that she does not care for.)
663 - Mark Leiter

574 - Tom Glavine (This design is just... wow. The name plates look like they could be from the title sequence from an early season of The Real World.)
666 - Will Clark (This one is going out the door as fast as it got in my hands.)

629 - Carlos Delgado Rookie Rocker (Unfortunately, when I see "ROCKER" on a baseball card I can't help but only think of one guy.)

543 - Lee Smith Active All-Time Career Leader (Should be in the Hall. I voted for him!)
699 - Jeff Cirillo
- Stadium Club Membership Form

573 - Bernie Williams (Bernie is one of my all-time favorite Yankees, along with Don Mattingly and Reggie Jackson.)
591 - Geronimo Berroa

573 - Bernie Williams Golden Rainbow (Hey, this looks familiar. I'm not exactly sure what a golden rainbow would look like, but Topps certainly gave it a shot with these, which I'm guessing are one-per-pack inserts.)

586 - Bob Tewksbury (A very underrated pitcher when he was good.)

3 comments :

  1. "The Real World." Wow. I really do not miss that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course you don't miss it, it's still on! Real World: Cancun on Wednesdays at 10PM ET/PT only on MTV!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first season of the real world. I thought it was rather interesting. Of course, I think people weren't as stupid back then.

    I think I have a short list of a lot of people. One day I am going to make lists like this. On paper. Just got to make up the categories. Stupid girls will be one of them, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.