Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Trade Post For No Reason


A fellow collector asks "do I need a reason??" The answer, of course, is no.

Jeff from 2x3 Heroes sent me an out of the blue stack of cards. He is one of the ones that I send out of the blue stack of cards to, so this seems appropriate. 2014 seems to be the year that Topps is paying tribute to the world's seemingly unlimited supply of 1989 Topps cards, but they rare seem to know how to replicate their own past designs. The die cut minis found in this year's base set are just plain weird looking (and have different border colors?) while the cards from Topps Archives have the player name left justified. Left justified! I know it's been awhile, but this is how you do 1989 Topps with a relatively short player name.


Jeff took down some numbers from my Heritage want list. I decided to scan Didi Gregorious, who both looks and sounds (as in his name) least like a Major League Baseball player. This is the fun side of having a lot of head shots in the Heritage set.


I know that lenticular style cards don't scan the best, but I was truly happy to receive this Greg Matthews card from the 1986 Sportflics Rookies set. This might be my favorite card of the whole package, but I'm at a loss as to how I can explain why. I guess Sportflics just remind me of the days when I couldn't justify buying a pack with only a few cards in it for significantly more than a garden variety Topps pack, although I'm pretty sure this particular card came from a year end factory set. Times have changed, but maybe they haven't changed all that much. After all, I use the same logic to pass on packs of Chrome this and Platinum that in the card aisle at Target all the time. 3 or 4 cards for $3 when you know they're just going to be Pirates and Red Sox cards is just not fun.


Here's a nice Tulo rookie for Erin's collection. I wonder if he'll stop getting injured all the time the moment the Rockies finally deal him away.


Membership has its privileges. Just ask Todd Zeile.

1 comment :

  1. You get Red Sox cards in your packs? I need to move to St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.