Wednesday, December 13, 2017

First Look at New Donruss


What 2018 Donruss Baseball would look like if it actually existed. 

Before I dive right in to talkin' basketball cards, I want to ask a baseball question. Did Panini lose their MLBPA license? Does anyone know? There are no future release dates to be found, no sell sheets and scarcely a trace of a mention of baseball over at the Panini America website. As much as I dislike logo-less cards, I would only be okay with Panini getting out of the baseball game if I thought Topps was doing a good job. (Spoiler alert: I don't think Topps is doing a good job.)

I'm really here to talk hoops cards (but not Hoops cards), in case you didn't know. Fresh on the heels of the season's first release (NBA Hoops, naturally) comes Panini's version of Donruss. These look very similar in color and feel to last year's release, but trade the quasi-1990 baseball look for something a little more generic. I picked up a blaster recently "for research purposes" and here are some cards from said blaster.


This Retro Series design is a little queasy looking, but you don't see Dave Bing cards every day. Actually, you pretty much never see Dave Bing cards. I am always a fan of throwback NBA cards.


You can tell this is a late career David Robinson photo because the uniform has the championship trophy patch on it, something that I associate with the NBA on ABC era. Robinson won the second of his two rings in 2003, so let's go with that.


Another year, another Sixers #1 draft pick. And like many of those who came before him, Fultz has injury issues. He also was an incredibly suspicious choice for a #1 pick in my book, the best player on an awful Pac-12 team for just a single season. Of course, you could also say the same about Lonzo Ball, though his team was pretty solid.


More Retro! The Ice Man! I love it.


Gordon Hayward's first All-Star appearance probably came at the expense of Damian Lillard not making the team again. He was famously dealt to Boston, played 5 minutes and suffered a gruesome injury.


My promised one-per-blaster guaranteed memorabilia or auto. It's always memorabilia, isn't it? Harry Giles is someone who I keep having to remind myself is a (theoretical) NBA player, and not Harry Stiles, or Prince Harry -- who sounds like he could be a Harry Giles -- for that matter.


Buddy Hield once slaughtered the Ducks while he was playing at Oklahoma, and I'll never forgive him for that. Or, at least, I'll never forget. One of those two.


This reminds me of something SkyBox would have done back in the day.


Gordon Hayward wasn't the only All-Star to change teams this season, as Kyrie is now in Boston.


I expected more parallels for some reason, but this "orange laser" Doug McDermott ended up being my only parallel pull of the box. It is not numbered.


I find it really obnoxious that the Lakers wear MPLS throwback uniforms at times. Of course, I find everything the Lakers to do to be pretty obnoxious. I do love the look and feel of all of the Court/Hall/Rookie Kings cards, though.


Finally, a Blazer makes an appearance. Here's my first card of Jusuf Nurkic in a Blazers uniform.


Biggie Swanigan got a taste of the NBA life when he got a few starts last month, but he seems to have been exiled to the end of the bench ever since. Yes, Panini is still hanging on to the classic Rated Rookie logo.


Here's Swanigan on one of those Kings inserts that I like.


Hassan Whiteside, rebounding machine.


And finally, here's the Rated Rookie card of the Blazers other draft pick. Portland moved up to get Collins, a lottery pick at #10, and he's now getting his turn at center with Nurkic temporarily on the shelf.

6 comments :

  1. That George Mikan card is a thing of beauty.

    In regards to Panini and the MLBPA license, I'm pretty sure it's still going strong. They have 2018 Diamond Kings listed as part of their "first off the line" promo. Sell sheets and product info for Donruss baseball probably won't come out until after the first of the year I would guess. You could always ask them on Twitter directly if you were curious I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Bing is awesome! Good Syracuse guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Retro Series sure is neat! And it doesn't look like anything else that they've already done with the Donruss brand, so that's kind of nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any yet. My local Target has been bad lately. The Robinson photo is from 2003. The 1998-99 finals had a black oval with NBA finals in gold text.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although he is no longer a Cavalier, I really like that Kyrie card. I am glad to see he is doing well with Boston, but it appears Lebron has the Cavaliers primed to be the kings of the East again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the retro cards here. Bing, Mikan, Robinson, Gervin. This is truly one of the reasons I like the Panini Donruss brand because they encorporate retired legends so much into the cards. You have some great stuff here. I also love the all-star cards with photos from the actual games. I'll be picking up that set of cards as I can.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.