Monday, April 2, 2018

Off We Go


Highlighting some Cards cards as the 2018 season begins in earnest. 

With the Cardinals pulling their record up to .500 today in the very young season, it's time to show off some more Cardinals cards. That's what we do here! Diamondbacks fan JayP of CMMDTO sent over an excellent bunch of St. Louis players (well, not literally the players) in exchange for some guys from his squad. Excellent.


I am very light on cards of the 21 year old pitching prospect Junior Fernandez, so this was a welcome sight. Even more so, I have very few Bowman Platinum cards from the past two seasons because... well... Walmart. (I will point out that I slipped and did actually go into a Walmart as recently as last baseball season, probably to look for stupid Bowman Platinum, only to find that the store's card aisle had apparently been replaced with fidget spinners. So 2017 of them.)


Ozzie Smith, Legend! It's always at the top of my list to add to my collection of The Wizard. This is apparently a base card from the 2001 Donruss Classics set, but it's serial numbered (/1755) because the early 2000s were weird, man.


Stephen Piscotty is one of quite a few former Cardinals who earned a 25-man roster spot and regular playing time with another club in 2018. His trade to Oakland which helped him return closer to home and be around his ailing mother is a cool story, and I hope he does well there. I believe that I once owned an A's cap, an A's batting helmet and a Jose Canseco 40/40 A's poster (but not at the same time), so there's that.


Ahh, refractors are the best. Fernando Vina reminds me of the early '00s, of course, a time where I was finally able to watch Cardinals games on TV with somewhat regularity for the first time in my life. (Thanks, Albert!)


I don't really know what I think of the Topps Chrome sepia refractors. One of the more attractive things about Chrome refractors are their bright colors and overall shininess, so the sepia look kind of sucks out a lot of that fun.


Finally, here's a Cub throwing to a Cardinal. It's not just any Cardinal, of course, but Jim Edmonds! I always find these cards where rivals have to share space to be a bit dubious, but at least it's not Carlos Zambrano. I don't even have negative things to say about Kerry Wood. And no, that's not even April Fool's me talking. It helps that there's only one jersey piece here and it's... (checking the back one more time to make sure)... actually Jim Edmonds. Nice! Of course, now I'm a bit nervous that there's a Kerry Wood version of this card that I am missing. Not nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.