Monday, July 22, 2019

The Week in New Cardinals Cards


I bought new packs and pulled a few new Redbirds. 

Each one of these pickups could probably have been part of a separate post, but I don't have a lot to say about the newest releases right now that tons of others haven't probably already said. Allen & Ginter continues to be Allen & Ginter, with the added bonus of a weird card numbering snafu that I assume Topps will never cop to. Does Topps ever apologize for anything? Do they have to? I guess that's what happens when you're a monopoly.


I ended up liking the cards in hand a lot more than I liked the samples, though. It probably helps that two of the three Cardinals I pulled had weird old-timey dudes in the background. Minis are the same as always, and come in several variants including the usual black bordered version like Hudson here.


Miles Mikolas just looks like he belongs on an Allen & Ginter card. He's feeling right at home.

In any case, I'm sure I'll collect this set. It'll probably be a better idea, however, if I wait until blasters drop to $15 and retail boxes drop to $40 like they have in the recent past.


I did actually post something about Stadium Club here, but I didn't pull any Cardinals in my pack. I did get this horrendous Photoshopped card in my pack tonight, however. Stadium Club should be for the photo purists, but sadly it is not.


I also bought a blaster (?) of Topps Stickers (?!) immediately after I left the card show a week ago. In case you hadn't heard, these are full-sized this year and have card-like backs (of other players, of course.)


This is one of the sticker backs. It's fine. It's nice to see Topps trying something different again. I think they switched back to making the stickers themselves after several years of farming these out to Panini (I presume) like the good ol' days. These no longer seem to say "Made in Italy" anywhere on them.

I'd love to see a Fleer Sticker Project style deep dive into Topps Stickers on the internet someday. I know there's some info out there, but not nearly enough, at least for me.

1 comment :

  1. What a bummer to see a heavily photoshopped card in Stadium Club. I can understand a bit of touching up (if it's minimal), but you're right: Stadium CLub should be for photo purists.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.