Wednesday, February 15, 2023

More Buried Treasure


I found some more cards! 
 
I uncovered another lost pile of cards that was hanging out beneath, well, other cards. This batch of baseball players came from big Orioles fan Ryan H. I believe I reached out to Ryan over the summer because the O's were among a handful of teams where I had a glut of extra cards, and he responded to my offer with some of my needs.


Topps sometimes makes poor choices when selecting photos to be featured on their horizontal cards, and I believe this is one of those times. This is a Prizm Chrome refractor, however, so it's a nice pick-up nonetheless.


Since the Stadium Club Chrome inserts are basically indistinguishable from the Stadium Club Chrome base cards (completely different set), I'm just going to go with this being one of those. If I flipped a coin over this, I might win?


After basing a set on T-206 in 2002, the following year saw Topps release this tribute to T-205. Instead of doing something similar the next year, they seem to have dropped this idea. Eventually, the Turkey Red and Allen & Ginter sets would launch, but these days they seem more focused on cannibalizing their own designs from the past.


It's that time of year once again where I declare my hope for big things out of Jack Flaherty this season. Please, just let this happen! 


Here's one of those old Topps designs that's been beaten into the ground over the years.


Ryan also sent over a bunch of set needs, including this apparently rare People on Bicycles insert from the 2013 Allen & Ginter set. I believe this is the first one of these in my collection, and judging by prices online it might have been a case hit.


I still haven't finished off the 2009 Turkey Red inserts run, but I'm slowly inching closer and closer.


Here's a pair of Hall of Fame sluggers batting from opposing sides of the plate.


This was one of my favorite Allen & Ginter insert sets in recent times, but I felt like they included too many newer players. It's more fun when you see the older players as rookies.

3 comments :

  1. I found some buried cards too and interesting enough they were from your "spring cleaning" giveaway. I was happy to find them. I don't know if you know but I moved and had to pack things in odd places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you could pay me enough to try out that bicycle. How the heck did they even get on that thing?

    P.S. It's a cool card though.
    P.S.2. Hope Flaherty has a big season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a double take on "Farthing" :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.