Saturday, January 3, 2009

Defending the X

Updates here from Cards on Cards central have been sparse. I'm in the midst of a two week vacation and thus have been avoiding my computer as much as possible. I'm still checking e-mails fairly regularly, so if we have potential trades going (or if you want to trade) feel free to keep in touch. I also mailed out four more packages yesterday with another four or five still left to send, so if you're expecting something from me (or maybe even if you aren't) then keep an eye on your mailbox.

Upper Deck X is basically the bane of every card collector's existence, but there's a reason I bought more packs of this after Erin gave me my first one for my birthday. The reason is this (retail) pack.

65 - Pedro Martinez
79 - Jason Bay

48 - Alex Gordon Die Cut (I have a tendency to remove the "hanging chads." Whether or not that devalues the cards, I have no idea. It just bugs me. What happened to Alex Gordon, anyway? Is he the next George Brett or Kevin Seitzer? Don't you hate it when players are proclaimed the Next Anything?)

X4-AP - Albert Pujols Xponential 4 (This card is just stunningly awesome. I don't really know what else to say about it.)

5068 - Dave Winfield Yankee Stadium Legacy (I don't hate these cards. Maybe I'd be annoyed if they were inserted into Topps products and replaced cards I'm trying to collect like Heritage and A&G.)

76 - Ryan Howard (The MLB Network is on the air! Unfortunately, a lot of what they are showing this weekend seems to be the 2008 World Series, which isn't exactly a distant memory. I wish I had been able to watch more of Don Larsen's perfect game, but I didn't really want to put my girlfriend through a heavy dose of '50s Yankees footage.)

Anyway, yes, I know the set sucks. However, it's $1.99 and it's amusing. Sometimes amusing is more important to me than eye-pleasing.

5 comments :

  1. My son loves the X as well. If you *really* want to go for it, head to Kmart. Local stores had X and Hero boxes marked half off. Interestingly enough, the X boxes had the half off sticker on the box itself instead of the UD wrapping. Maybe the demand for these really blows and UD discounted them straight from distribution?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these cards too.

    But don't tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a minute there, we thought the Alex Gordon was a giant jersey card. PS We too hate not X.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like X - but I'm fairly certain I'm in the minority of people who actually like the base cards MORE than the inserts. I'd trade my pile of x^2, x^3, and x^4 for the base set any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The X inserts are very nice. Not liking the base set. However, I will pick X over Artifacts any day. Artifacts have got to go.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.