Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ozzie Mystery

Look here. We have a 1991 Donruss Series 2 Ozzie Smith All-Star card. Nothing special, right? This entire set (series 1 and 2) can probably be had for a couple of bucks on eBay and Beckett lists it at $3.00 - $8.00. I have stacks and stacks of this stuff. But Erin discovered something about this card that I had never noticed before. I have 14 copies of this card, and for some reason 13 of them look like this:

Note the stripey patterns on each side of the card border. For some reason one of the cards that I own has a totally different pattern. Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone care? Have I completely wasted everyone's time reading this with cards that probably have a negative value in the real world?

***

I posted the Topps Finest pack over at A Pack A Day. No one guessed the player correctly. Night Owl was closest as he picked a guy from the same team, while the rest of you were at least on the right track by selecting pitchers.

2 comments :

  1. Well, you haven't wasted your time, because now I want to look at all my '91 Donruss cards (and I haven't wanted to do that in a long, long time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure some of the cards in that set were double printed. It's possible that the two cards on the sheet had different stripey patterns. I've seen something similar to this on '89 Donruss Grand slam cards, so I know they've done it in the past. For some inexplicable reason I can't seem to find any info on '91 Donruss cards though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.