Monday, May 24, 2010

A Box Full of Pictures of Men

I recently pulled off a key trade with Colt from Pictures of Men (yes, it's SFW unless your job has a strict anti-Tony Fernandez policy.) If you haven't heard of his blog, you should definitely check it out. He sent over a pretty sizeable chunk of 2007 Bowman Heritage needs and is currently helping me with the overpopulation of Blue Jays in my yard.

Just when it seemed like he was about to realize his potential, Homer Bailey sounds like the latest victim of the Dusty Baker arm killing machine.

Phil Hughes has made the successful transition from can't-miss-prospect starter to failed starter to unsung setup hero to actually successful starter. Joba Chamberlain must be a bit frustrated.

Colt was also kind enough to include some pictures of men wearing birds of another color. This Edmonds card is from 2003 Fleer Platinum, but if you ask me it looks straight out of the '80s. This looks strikingly similar to one of the little oddball sets you could buy in drug stores, where you'd get about 30-40 cards of the top players in the league. I miss Newberry's.

Any Edmonds card is a good one, but this is particularly good. It's a serial-numbered gold parallel from the 2005 Topps set. I'm not wild about the all-star banner cutting across the photo, though.

I received a handful of 2009 O-Pee-Chee cards. I thought this set was pretty awful at the time, but I could see myself buying some of it someday if it was cheap enough. I guess that's what the lack of new products does to a collector. Todd Wellemeyer's card has a rare action photo. There aren't many that I've seen in this set. Wellemeyer has not fared well in the Giants rotation.

Finally, here's a rarity for me... a bat card! Thanks a bunch to Colt, whose package was mailed out today along with 5 other padded manila envelopes sent out to various locales across North America.

1 comment :

  1. Glad to be of help.

    Best of luck w/ the rest of the 07' Bowman set!

    I'll keep my eyes peeled for those irksome bluebirds. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.