Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Don't Walk


Adam Wainwright finally walked a batter. After striking out 35 batters without a walk this season, he finally felt generous enough to give up a free pass to Bryce Harper tonight in the 6th inning for his first walk of the season. I'll celebrate the occasion, which resulted in an MLB record, by showing off his 2003 Topps Gold card that I picked up while doing a little COMC shopping last week. Wainwright is virtually unrecognizable here and it's not even the Braves uniform that I'm talking about. Still, I have very few cards of Wainwright as a Brave, so it was a nice get.


I picked up a few more cards for myself for around $1. This Chris Carpenter insert from the post-legit Upper Deck era would have me totally confused for the regular version of this card were it not for the serial numbering on the front. I don't see how this card is any more "gold" than his regular Portraits card.


I've had a hard time filling 2012 Topps Mini team set, probably because these cards just aren't all that plentiful. I just have to face the fact that I don't like cards that aren't Cardinals enough to justify spending big money on boxes.


Does this garden variety 1989 Topps Ozzie Smith card look bright to you? Does it have a little bit of a glow?


Because it's Tiffany! ... okay, fine, you knew that all along, didn't you? Who would bother to show off a card from this set if there wasn't something extra fancy about it?


I thought I'd tack on a couple of scans of recent Listia wins as well. I had never seen this design (well, not exactly this design) before, but it's some subset from the 2002 Fleer Tradition set. I like it.


Here's an example of something I would never pay cash for, but I pounced on it when all it cost me was some cybercurrency. Seriously, though, who really needs a high school portrait of Ozzie Smith... assuming this is even high school? I don't know what this is. It will get its share of eyerolls near the back of my Ozzie binder, but it's home to roost just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.