Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sheer Fleer


I'm still working on the 1985 Fleer set that I was so fond of as a child, so I decided to pick up a couple of packs from eBay on a whim. I'm still missing the biggest rookie (Clemens) along with a handful of other stars and commons at this point. Like the pack I posted over at APTBNL, this pack suspiciously contained 16 cards instead of the expected 15. There's good reason to suspect that every wax-wrapped pack has been searched and resealed, but I'm choosing to believe it was just a factory-made fluke.

Here we go back to the year that the Nintendo Entertainment System landed stateside...


- Mets sticker - Stickers > (flimsy) Puzzle Pieces > (tasteless) Bubble Gum


191 - Ken Singleton - Since I posted the APTBNL pack first, this pack is going to feel like the mirror version (or bizarro version?) Each pack yieleded a different Mets sticker and now I have a rare DH to match Don Baylor.


517 - LaMarr Hoyt - Hoyt found it difficult to duplicate his Cy Young season in 1984, but over the past three years he logged an astounding 735 2/3 innings.


606 - Mark Davis - Davis was coming off a 5-17, 5.36 ERA season at this point, but great things were to come for him. He ended up becoming a Cy Young winning closer in 1989.


277 - Pete Filson - I have no idea who he is, but he's geeked to be there!


365 - Denny Walling - Like Frank DiPino in the other post, Walling was a future Cardinal in waiting. I wonder what led to the decision to spell out "FIRST BASE" as usual but abbreviate his other position.


478 - Jason Thompson - Whew, so much yellow!


316 - Mike Witt - One of the better '80s Angels pitchers.


51 - Warren Brusstar - Brusstar sounds like some '80s satellite TV company.


483 - Dave Beard - Beard was just a regular guy who would drink regular beer with you. He probably had his share of Olys and Rainiers during his Seattle days.


651 - Zane Smith / Paul Zuvella Major League Prospects - Smith would go on to have a 1-13 season in his future, where he would post a 3.49 ERA and boggle the minds of anyone who didn't understand the meaninglessness of pitching wins. Which was pretty much everyone.


569 - Dave Stewart - Stewart was one of my favorite pitchers of the late '80s/early '90s, so I would have been super excited to pull this card back in the day, even though the picture has a weird printing flaw.


617 - Greg Minton - I wonder if hipsters realize they're trying to look like old baseball players.


348 - Bill Dawley - Another future Cardinal of the past.


415 - Keith Atherton


163 - Rick Miller - Miller was a light-hitting outfielder who was apparently so beloved that he spent two separate long tours with the BoSox.


382 - German Rivera - I have no idea who Rivera is, but I love that he's got a 1984 Olympic patch on his sleeve.

1 comment :

  1. Love this era of cardboard. I didn't bust a lot of 85F, because most of the stores in my area had 85T... but I've always liked the colored borders of this set. Best of luck with pulling your Clemens.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.