Sunday, June 2, 2013

Up For Grabs: McCovey, Morgan and Perry


Here's the final installment of my regular "Up For Grabs" posts. I've finally cleared out the last of my binder pages full of cards I deemed "star"-worthy when I was a young collector. Stay tuned if you're a Cardinals fan, because later this week I will kick of the Up For Grabs Cardinalpalooza that I've been hinting at lately.


Gaylord Perry pitched until he was 45 and was inducted into the Hall when I was in high school. I don't recall ever seeing him pitch aside from seeing post-career highlights, but at some point I was convinced that all cards of HOFers would be worth millions someday.

The list:

1979 Topps (Victory Leaders w/ Ron Guidry) #5 [2 available]
1979 Topps #321
1982 Donruss #543
1981 Fleer #91


Joe Morgan stole a ton of bases in his career and provided nice power from a position that typically lacks a lot of offense. If he played today, he'd be a first or second round fantasy draft pick. Instead, most of us today just recall his clumsy broadcast commentary and the genius website it inspired.


The list:

1982 Topps #754
1985 Topps (Record Breaker) #5
1979 Topps #20
1985 Topps #352
2010 Topps The Cards Your Mom Threw Out #CMT87
2002 Upper Deck World Series Heroes #66


Willie McCovey was from way before my time, but any time you have a baseball card with a familiar name whose stats go all the way back to the '50s, you know you should treasure it.


The list:

1979 Topps #215
2005 Upper Deck All-Star Classics All-Star Box Scores #ASB-4
1985 Topps Glossy All-Star #11
2012 Topps Gypsy Queen #246

[updated 7/8/13]

2 comments :

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.