Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Brought to you by the Letter L


Still viable. 

I'm still active on Listia after all these years, after nearly ditching the site this past winter over an auction dispute where their customer service was being completely unreasonable. For the most part, the issues that were prevalent have lessened lately, where I'm no longer seeing a bunch of accounts created by people who either have no idea what they're doing or have no intent on actually following any of the rules. They just launched some sort of tiered bonus rewards program for people who buy certain amounts of credits, although I sell enough on the site that I never actually have had the need to spend any cash money on buying credits. (All my cash money ends up going to stamps, envelopes, tape, and a hobby supplies store. Fun stuff.)

In any case, I continue to find interesting cards as my reward for my hard work at basically getting rid of crap that I don't want, like this Bob Gibson 2014 Panini Hall of Fame auction that I recently won. This is a set that completely escaped me, and it appears to be one of those parallels-upon-parallels sets that any reasonable set collector would avoid like some Listeria-infected frozen vegetables.


The seller was kind enough to throw in a couple of extras, which happened to be Cardinals from the same set. Since I had no idea that this set even existed, these were all new to me. It's not my favorite set in the world (check the no logo sadness), but I got these cards for what feels like Monopoly money, so it's cool with me.


Again, parallels upon parallels. This Dizzy (seriously, a numbered card as a freebie throw-in?) is a "Green Shield" variant apparently, while the Gibby at the top of the post is a "Blue Shield, Red". Because, of course, there has to be red versions of blue shields. Yup, that's how baseball cards work.


In a completely different auction won around the same time, I also snagged an on-card auto of out-of-nowhere-and-back-to-nowhere reliever Josh Kinney from the 2006 championship team. I already had another auto of his for my (so far) undocumented 2006 + 2011 World Series autographs project, but this is clearly superior to what I had before. I'm a sucker for Heritage-esque sets, even if this isn't an actual Topps Heritage card.

Anyway, Listia is still a thing. Sign up if you haven't or check it out again if you've been there before.

3 comments :

  1. I see cards you post on there every now and again! I go in waves, but still check every so often. I usually end up grabbing things for my other collecting versus myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know any sane people were still using Listia! It seemed like when I stopped early last year, everybody else was abandoning ship as well. I had to leave mostly because of the three major credit devaluations during a six week span and their sudden decision to focus solely on making money by selling credits to idiots that would then overpay for everything.

    All that being said, it looks like you were able to get some pretty good cards. It does seem kind crazy of though, that someone would include a fairly low serial numbered card as an extra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've rarely used Listia, but every now and then I log in and find something that hasn't been terribly inflated. Not often, but sometimes.

    Also, Josh Kinney was one Cardinal I actively rooted for, seeing as his coming out of nowhere was from the independent Frontier League, a league my town has a team in. It was pretty cool seeing someone who played in Crestwood make it all the way to the Majors!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.