Thursday, September 24, 2020

Another Treasure Trove


Another fantastic assortment of eclectic Cardinals cards (and a few Blazers!) 
 
I've been doing this thing, whatever you want to call it, for more than a dozen years now. It's getting tough to pick out new titles for posts and new superlatives to describe bundles of cards. I try to switch up the verbiage every so often. It's the least I can do, especially when you're getting hammered with "trade post" this and "trade post" that.

This latest batch of truly exceptional cards came to the Pacific Northwest (which is not entirely on fire at this point) from Bob of The Best Bubble. Bob really likes his fun oddball cards and bubble gum-related photos, and I encourage you to send some stuff his way if you have anything like that. I often struggle to find things for collectors who have collections that extend beyond the tradition team, player or set territory, but I will try to find what I can.


Most of the cards in the package were of the Redbird variety, but there were a few nice Trail Blazers cards as well. For some reason I like these weird Donruss starburst green and yellow parallels (not the official name, of course.) They do clash with the Blazers color scheme quite a bit, but that's okay.


Inserts and numbered cards from the '00s are almost always a success with me, and this Timeless Treasures Scott Rolen card certainly fits that caterogry. I just wish they could have dedicated a little more retail space for the photo here.


Wacha Wacha Wacha! I've... got nothin'.


Bob sent some interesting unlicensed Todd Zeile cards that I'd never seen before. The prospect hype was pretty big with Zeile at the time, though not in the same category as Todd Van Poppel or Ben McDonald. These days, graded Bowman Zeile cards would be tearing up the online auctions before he ever played a meaningful game. Back in 1990, we got what they used to call "Broders". They would usually cost something like a dollar a pop.
 

Also in the package was a healthy chunk of the 1989 Star St. Petersburg Cardinals team set. I decided to pick this guy to scan, because he's kind of goofy looking. I think I might have seen him at one of my dad's company picnics back in the day.


Soup's on, Suppan! This is from the short-lived (?) Upper Deck Epic set.


Back to the Blazers here with a die cut Scottie Pippen insert. I think Pippen's cards got a bit of a bump over the summer from the whole Jordan documentary thing, but I doubt that did anything to his non-Bulls cards. That's okay, though. You can give them all to me. Except the Rockets ones. Nobody wants those.


This set is always one of the best examples of where to pick up a signed card on a budget. It's also a great example of how well autographs work on matte finish cards.


This one is even better looking than the plain white/grey look of that previous Leaf set. I think they may have even instructed the players to sign in a certain place on the card. What do you think? I am pretty certain this is my first signed card of Ray Lankford, one of the Cardinals biggest stars of the '90s. It was a nice little shock to see this one.


I always appreciate the vintage cards that come my way, no matter what the condition may be. I love how you can still see remants of his original Cincinnati cap behind the weird airbrushing there. Even weirder is the fact that Grammas didn't play in the majors with the Redlegs until after he was traded back to Cincinnati the year this card was issued. I'm not sure if this is some weird scouting photo or what, but he had already completed two seasons with St. Louis at this point. (Feel free to let me know if I'm missing something here.)


Before the Memphis Redbirds were the long term Cardinals AAA affiliate, there was the Louisville Redbirds. Unsurprisingly, the uniform is pretty similar to their then-parent club.


Here's another one of those numbered cards from that Epic set, this time featuring an even more familiar face in the former Cy Young Award winner Chris Carpenter.


Note to self: Chrome cards from this set do not scan all that well.


We finish things up with a couple of signed cards from Signature Rookies. I wonder how many signed cards Brian Barber himself owns.


The last one is another signed card. It's the lesser known Benes brother. If I had to sign 2100 cards, I would lose my mind. I don't know how these guys do it. (Of course, some of them don't... do it.) Was Brian Barber's playing career shortened because he signed nearly ten thousand cards and his hand nearly fell off?

4 comments :

  1. I opened up a few boxes of Signature Rookies products back in the 90's. The idea of pulling an autograph from every pack was just the coolest concept. At the time, 10k signatures seemed limited. But looking back on the moment... that's obviously an insane number of signatures floating around out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *cough* This humble commenter graciously accepts all Scottie Pippen cards, even those of the Rockets variety :)

    I'm not big on the Donruss basketball cards, but I too really like those Starburst cards, I just wish they'd feature more guys that I care about on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Grammas is strange. It's the same portrait that's on his 1955 card, and maybe uses an image from a spring training with the reds in 1953?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some really cool looking cards you received there I think,Kerry.My favorite is the 1st one you posted,the 2015 Johnny Peralta variation.I won a different Alex Grammas card than the one you posted,last year in a contest on Topps' official Facebook page a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.