Saturday, September 5, 2020

Good Luck Ducks: Stay Safe and Healthy

 

Filling the void with help from @forgotaboutblay and more. 

In the original timeline, the Oregon Ducks would be facing off in their first game of the season against North Dakota State today. Instead of posting a scan of a cool Ducks card and writing a few words about the new season and the new quarterback and what have you, I'm just going to show off all the cards I was holding back for the season that won't be. I'm also going to show off a bunch of Ducks stuff I got more recently from Dennis of Too Many Verlanders


In fact, for these first four cards, I'm not entirely sure who sent them since they were sitting in an unmarked stack specifically for this series. Dennis and Doug (buckstorecards) are the primary outside contributors to my Ducks collection, so chances are these could have come from either of them.


It's raining autographs! See, I was hanging on to some good stuff here.


This is probably a good time to mention that I won't be watching any college football this season. I was all for canceling all sports in 2020, but I still have kept an eye or two on the teams I follow in other sports. College sports, however... I just can't watch young, presumably health unpaid athletes risk so much for so little. The decision to play shouldn't even be in their hands, honestly. The Pac-12 season is still a no go at this point, which makes not watching even easier for someone like me, but I'm going to continue to act as if the sport doesn't presently exist for the time being.


Next up is the stuff from Dennis. Arik Armstead's signature is pretty simple, you guys.


More Byron Marshall. Here he is on a nice looking blue parallel of his Prizm Draft card.


¡1 of 1 ALERT! I never expect anyone to drop a printing plate on me, but here it is! Something I've realized while accumulating Ducks cards is that Dion Jordan has a lot of football cards. This is from the 2013 Panini Black set. It's also signed, because what else are you going to do with a printing plate? Print more cards?!


The autographs just keep rolling in. This time Jordan's in a Ducks jersey instead of one of those pro ones, but Press Pass was careful to crop the logos out.


Here's one of the most recent Ducks cards that I own, and it's a doozy. Leaf is one of the more mysterious companies out there making cards, so as a result I don't own much of their stuff. They seem to specialize in prospect sets and creepy cards of 16 year old baseball kids. This is one of the nicest looking things that (current era) Leaf has done as far as I've seen, though.


LMJ is wondering where his ink is.


We'll end things here with Ifo, one of my all-time favorite Ducks.

The rest of Dennis's bubble mailer (non-Ducks edition) will be featured next time. In the meantime, if you want to make me slightly less sad about the state of college football (and the country in general), here's a link to my Ducks page in case you have something you are able to contribute.

4 comments :

  1. Yeah, we should both be enjoying college football kicking off this weekend, if not for a country filled with selfish idiots. Glad you liked your cards! I always love hitting someone with a 1/1 when I can find one for them, especially when it's autographed. Go Ducks and Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis seems to be the king of sending printing plates, he must have a really good source!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I've mentioned this before... but in case I haven't... my ex-girlfriend's cousin is married to Ifo. She went to their wedding two summers ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Received your two PWE's in the mail today. Hoping to tear into them as soon as I'm finished reading and commenting on blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.