Monday, September 7, 2020

The Rest of It


The rest of the good stuff from @forgotaboutblay -- non-Ducks edition. 

Last time out, I featured a bunch of Oregon Ducks cards sent to me from Dennis of Too Many Verlanders. I wanted to give some space here to the non-Ducks cards. Everything I was sent from Dennis was divided up pretty evenly amongst a few of the different teams that I collect.


This means Cardinals, of course, like the lenticular Allen Watson that heads up this post and an autographed 1993 Bowman Brian Barber card. I'd love to know the story behind this card. Did he hand-number it himself or was it part of some sort of promotion? Ink aside, it appears that there's nothing else to distinguish it from his regular base card. 


Next up is a really nice looking dual memorabilia Scott Rolen card from 2004 Donruss Diamond Kings. The Diamond Kings sets from this period are chock full of impressive looking cards... like this one!
 

No big deal here, just a short print from the list of a hundred short prints that Topps Heritage cranks out every year. I only probably need something like eighty-five of these to finish it off.


There was one Ducks card that I left out of last post, and it was a basketball Ducks card. Terrell Brandon was an All-Star and had a really nice NBA career. He's also a Portland native and has had his own barber shop here for decades.


A healthy amount of the package was full of Eagles cards, several of which were of Jason Avant. Avant is a Michigan alum, which means Dennis likely has ample amounts of his cards that aren't needed. He came into the league when I was still following the Eagles quite a bit (the McNabb days), but I didn't follow all of his career as the unfortunate Michael Vick era was ushered in.


One of my favorite eras of Eagles football (or NFL football in general, for that matter) was the early '90s. The Pro Set brand is synonymous with junk wax, but I barely ever saw 1992's edition, so these cards were a welcome addition to my collection. As always with Pro Set, the photography is top notch.

For the last card of the bunch, we head back to Jason Avant's rookie year (2006) again with this card of Jevon Kearse. It was big news when the team signed The Freak, whose first season with the team resulted in a Super Bowl appearance. I'm not sure he quite lived up to his days with the Titans, however, but he wasn't bad.

4 comments :

  1. That DK dual relic of Rolen is a beaut and Dennis is the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought that Barber auto might have been some sort of buyback, but I guess not.

    Pro Set football brings back so any great memories. I don't think I've seen that Byars before. I get what they were going for but couldn't they have cropped it a little better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know for certain of course, but it's possible that the Barber autograph was done through Scoreboard, they did an awful lot of stuff like that during the 90's.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.