Friday, October 22, 2010

Airbrushed Fridays: 1990 Topps #713

I know you're all sad that the Yankees haven't been eliminated yet. Will tonight be the night? I'm gonna say... nope.

Tim Drummond was a right-handed reliever who had a short professional career which included brief major league stints with the Pirates and Twins. There's no evidence to suggest that he ever jammed with Conway Twitty, unlike this other Tim Drummond.

Why did Topps airbrush Tim's photo? Drummond spent the better part of two seasons in the Mets system before coming to the Twins just before the trade deadline in a swap that saw Frank Viola and Rick Aguilera switch sides. Yes, they still airbrushed cards in 1990. I think I might have to come up with some sort of handsome reward for the first person who can provide evidence of an airbrushed card that was released after 1990, because I'm not sure that one exists.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? Drummond might well be wearing a Mets cap, even though he never reached the majors with New York. There's an uncertain 'M' Twins logo on the cap instead. By the way, does anyone miss this Twins logo? They went back to using the classic 'TC' logo ages ago. Also, Drummond kind of looks like a creep here. Let's just hope he was having a bad picture day.

If you are interested in obtaining a card featured here, please send me an e-mail. If you have a card you would like to nominate for Airbrushed Fridays, please get in touch as well. I will require that I am able to see the card in person, either on loan or as a donation, so that I can examine the card and experience it in all its cruddiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.